Public Function to pull query

sdohertyccb

Board Regular
Can anyone help me with the following code, I am trying to write a Function that will execute a query and show the results. This is as far as I have been able to get with my limited knowledge, any help will be greatly appreciated...
In case you are wondering, I have verified that the connection is avaiable and works in the followign code

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Public</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Function</SPAN> sql(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> query <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN>)<br>****<SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> (g_Conn <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN>) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>********<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Call</SPAN> getCon<br>****<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br><br>****g_Sql = query<br>****<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> g_RS = g_Conn.Execute(g_Sql, , adCmdText)<br> <br>****<SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> g_RS.EOF = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>********g_RS.MoveFirst<br>********sql = g_RS.Fields(query)<br>****<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN><br>********sql = ""<br>****<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>****g_RS.Close<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Function</SPAN></FONT>

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
The issue comes down to what your function is "returning".

1) A query returns a recordset - but that could be 0, 1, or thousands of values.

2) Do you want to give your user a recordset, write values to the worksheet, select a single value from the recordset, etc.?

Alex

Upvote 0
The issue comes down to what your function is "returning".

Alex is correct
and the way you have it , there is no need for your function to return anything
you already have
Set g_RS = g_Conn.Execute(g_Sql, , adCmdText)
so you already have a global recordset object that contains the result of your query

it looks as if you're trying to have your function tell you weather or not the Execute returned anything, and if it didn't, then the function should return ""

if that's what you intended maybe try something like this (I haven't tested this, I'm just doing it from memory, but it should work)
Code:
Public Function sql(ByVal query As String) As Boolean

If (g_Conn Is Nothing) Then
        Call getCon
    End If

g_sql = query

If Not g_RS Is Nothing Then
        If g_RS.State = adStateOpen Then
            g_RS.Close
        End If
        Set g_RS = Nothing
    End If

Set g_RS = g_Conn.Execute(g_sql, , adCmdText)

If g_RS.BOF And g_RS.EOF Then
        sql = False
        g_RS.Close
        set g_RS = nothing
    Else
        sql = True
    End If

End Function
and then if the function returns true, you can access the results through g_RS

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for your help on this. I 'm sorry I am late in getting back to you, but I have been out of the office.
What I expect is for the results of the query to drop into the spreadsheet, and if it returns nothing then exit. My issue is I am not getting the results to populate the spreadsheet, is there some line that I am missing?
Again, thanks for all of your help on this...

Upvote 0
James, THanks for your help...
I mdified the post and it worked great, I had already been on a similar track but this helped me refine a bit of code.
I truly appreciate yoru help.
Have a great weekend!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back