Publishing an Access Database to Website

Oshoryu

I have created a database using forms, (I was originally intending to use Excel for this as I wanted to re-create a complex menu based user interface; like the way an old mobile phone would work, and I decided that using the List function was not really the way forward so I decided to use Access and forms.)

Essentially what I have created is a whole load of forms that are linked through buttons which open another form etc. I haven't included a Navigation form or a Switchboard, it's literally just forms all linked together.

What I would like to achieve with this is firstly, I want to open it in such a way where everything is hidden/protected, so an average user can't delete or modify my database, some research into this has taken me to make it an Access Executable (?) or perhaps User Permissions, I've even seen Runtime crop up a few times.

As you can see I'm not the most experienced Access user and am probably trying to walk before I can crawl but I know what I want the end result to be. I've used programs designed in Access where you have to enter the Edit Mode in order to get to what I've got now, I just want to get it looking like a protected program.

Secondly, and this is also confusing me with answers on the web, is that I want to be able to use this finished database as part of a website.

I'm just looking for some pointers really, if I need to learn complex coding then so be it, I just need to know where to start.

Many thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Start Point question. Which version of Access are you using? If 2007, 2010 or 2013 look behind the Database Options and Current Database, you can setup certain restrictions to stop users getting to the backend. Secondly you could look at splitting the database so users can't alter the design of the tables.

Trying to publish a database to the web isn't the best idea, you don't get the form functionality and will have to use additional coding options. Is this for external people or internal?

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying, I'm using access 2010 and have looked at those options already, it still looks like an access file though. I haven't experimented with adding an icon so maybe it's to do with that.

i do want to publish it to an internal website at first, with the hope of putting it on the web at a later date. According to Microsoft website, share point seems like it would sort my needs so does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks again

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richa mishra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back