Pull a number from a cell and add to the subject of an email.

Samuelal

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a button on a workbook template that will save the work book and attach it to an email. I want to incorporate the ID number into the subject of the email. This number is changed each time the template is used.

For example: If the ID number is 000001, I want the email subject to read "Workbook #000001: Approval Required"

My Code:

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
ActiveWorkbook.Save
Dim xOutApp As Object
Dim xOutMail As Object
Dim xMailBody As String
Dim PAAID As String
On Error Resume Next
Set xOutApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
Set xOutMail = xOutApp.CreateItem(0)

xMailBody = "Hello," & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & _
"The attached PAA Form is complete and needs approval. Please review and return with approval or revision comments." _
& vbNewLine & vbNewLine & _
"Best regards," _
& vbNewLine & vbNewLine & _
"Strategic Procurement"
On Error Resume Next
With xOutMail
.To = ""
.CC = ""
.BCC = ""
.Subject = "PAA: PAAID = Range("Price Adjustment Approval!T2").Value Approval Required"
.Body = xMailBody
.Attachments.Add (ActiveWorkbook.FullName)
.Display 'or use .Send
End With
On Error GoTo 0
Set xOutMail = Nothing
Set xOutApp = Nothing
End Sub

Other than getting the cell value in the subject line, the code works just fine.

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Welcome to the Board!

Is this the part you are having issues with?
Rich (BB code):
.Subject = "PAA: PAAID = Range("Price Adjustment Approval!T2").Value Approval Required"

If so, know that everything in between double-quotes is treated as literal text. So if you want to combine range values (or variables) with literal text strings, you need to "concatenate" those pieces together, like this:
Rich (BB code):
.Subject = "PAA: PAAID = " & Range("Price Adjustment Approval!T2").Value & " Approval Required"
(the literal text parts are shown in blue, and the range value is shown in red, and they are concatenated with "&" symbols.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

Rich (BB code):

If so, know that everything in between double-quotes is treated as literal text. So if you want to combine range values (or variables) with literal text strings, you need to "concatenate" those pieces together, like this:
Rich (BB code):
.Subject = "PAA: PAAID = " & Range("Price Adjustment Approval!T2").Value & " Approval Required"
(the literal text parts are shown in blue, and the range value is shown in red, and they are concatenated with "&" symbols.
Welcome to the Board!

Rich (BB code):

Rich (BB code):

Thank you for the welcome!

I tried what you said, but now when the email window pops up, the subject line is completely blank.

.Subject = "PAA:" & Range("Price Adjustment Approval!T2").Value & "Approval Required"

Upvote 0
Try something simple first, to see if it works, i.e.
VBA Code:
.Subject = "Test"
Then if that works, try adding some complexity into it, bit-by-bit.

Upvote 0
Try something simple first, to see if it works, i.e.
VBA Code:
.Subject = "Test"
Then if that works, try adding some complexity into it, bit-by-bit.
I entered:

.Subject = "PAA: Approval Required"

This is where I started from and that works. Now I want to get the ID number in the middle of it.

Upvote 0
OK, why not try building the Subject line in a string, like you did with the body of the email, where you can use message boxes to make sure you are returning what you want before assigning it to the Subject line, i.e.
VBA Code:
Dim xSubject as String
xSubject = "This is a test" & Range("A1").Value
MsgBox xSubject
.Subject = xSubject

Also, is that "PAAID" in your subject line supposed to be literal text, or some variable value that is sent somewhere (I see it declared in the variable section)?

Maybe you could go through each part of your original attempt, and let us know what each piece is, and where it comes from.
VBA Code:

Also, what exactly is in Range("Price Adjustment Approval!T2")?

Upvote 0
OK, why not try building the Subject line in a string, like you did with the body of the email, where you can use message boxes to make sure you are returning what you want before assigning it to the Subject line, i.e.
VBA Code:
Dim xSubject as String
xSubject = "This is a test" & Range("A1").Value
MsgBox xSubject
.Subject = xSubject

Also, is that "PAAID" in your subject line supposed to be literal text, or some variable value that is sent somewhere (I see it declared in the variable section)?

Maybe you could go through each part of your original attempt, and let us know what each piece is, and where it comes from.
VBA Code:

Also, what exactly is in Range("Price Adjustment Approval!T2")?
Creating the subject as a string worked, thank you!

The "PAAID" definition was from an earlier attempt.
The "Range("Price Adjustment Approval!T2") was my best guess at how to pull the value from cell T2 in the workbook page 'Price Adjustment Approval'

I've had no VBA experience until this project called for it. This was a huge help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back