Pull data from closed workbooks in same folder

ceytl

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I have been looking for VBA script that can go into all the closed .xlsx files in a folder called S1 and grab the data from cells B5, H7, F19, F20, F21, and then put these values in A2, B2, C2, D2, E2

There is about 100 files, and the path is: c:\Users\US\Desktop\S1

is this something that can be done?

Thanks,

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
What would you need to change so data can append to the next blank line?

Thank you
Since no one answered, try this for a quick fix:

VBA Code:
Sub LoopThroughFilesV2()
'
    Dim wb1 As Workbook, wb2 As Workbook
    Dim SourceDirectory As String, SourcefileName As String, DestinationSheetName As String, SourceSheetName As String
    Dim DestinationRow  As Long
'
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    DestinationRow = 1
'
    SourceDirectory = "c:\Users\US\Desktop\S1\"
'
    SourceSheetName = "D1"                                                              ' <--- Set this to the Source Sheet Name that will always be used
    DestinationSheetName = "Sheet1"                                                     ' <--- Set this to the Destination Sheet Name
    SourcefileName = Dir(SourceDirectory & "*.xlsx")                                    ' Save source file name
    Set wb1 = ThisWorkbook

Do While SourcefileName <> ""
        Set wb2 = Workbooks.Open(SourceDirectory & SourcefileName)
'
        With wb2.Sheets(SourceSheetName)
            DestinationRow = DestinationRow + 1
            wb1.Sheets(DestinationSheetName).Range("A" & DestinationRow) = .Range("B5")
            wb1.Sheets(DestinationSheetName).Range("B" & DestinationRow) = .Range("H7")
            wb1.Sheets(DestinationSheetName).Range("C" & DestinationRow) = .Range("F19")
            wb1.Sheets(DestinationSheetName).Range("D" & DestinationRow) = .Range("F20")
            wb1.Sheets(DestinationSheetName).Range("E" & DestinationRow) = .Range("F21")
        End With
'
        wb2.Close savechanges:=False
        SourcefileName = Dir
    Loop
'
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Since no one answered, try this for a quick fix:

VBA Code:
Sub LoopThroughFilesV2()
'
    Dim wb1 As Workbook, wb2 As Workbook
    Dim SourceDirectory As String, SourcefileName As String, DestinationSheetName As String, SourceSheetName As String
    Dim DestinationRow  As Long
'
    DestinationRow = 1
'
'
    SourceSheetName = "D1"                                                              ' <--- Set this to the Source Sheet Name that will always be used
    DestinationSheetName = "Sheet1"                                                     ' <--- Set this to the Destination Sheet Name
    SourcefileName = Dir(SourceDirectory & "*.xlsx")                                    ' Save source file name
    Set wb1 = ThisWorkbook

Set wb2 = Workbooks.Open(SourceDirectory & SourcefileName)
'
            wb1.Sheets(DestinationSheetName).Range("A" & DestinationRow) = .Range("B5")
            wb1.Sheets(DestinationSheetName).Range("B" & DestinationRow) = .Range("H7")
            wb1.Sheets(DestinationSheetName).Range("C" & DestinationRow) = .Range("F19")
            wb1.Sheets(DestinationSheetName).Range("D" & DestinationRow) = .Range("F20")
            wb1.Sheets(DestinationSheetName).Range("E" & DestinationRow) = .Range("F21")
        End With
'
        wb2.Close savechanges:=False
        SourcefileName = Dir
    Loop
'
End Sub

Thank you so much!

Upvote 0
It's worth noting that you can rewrite johnnyL's macro in such a way that you don't have to open/close all those workbooks, possibly saving some time:

VBA Code:
Sub LoopThroughFilesV3()
Dim DestinationRow  As Long, MyCell As Range
'
    DestinationRow = 1                                                                  ' <--- Set this to the top row for the results
'
'

Set MyCell = ThisWorkbook.Sheets(DestinationSheetName).Cells(DestinationRow, "A")
        MyCell.Offset(, 0).Formula = "='" & SourceDirectory & "[" & SourcefileName & "]" & SourceSheetName & "'!B5"
        MyCell.Offset(, 1).Formula = "='" & SourceDirectory & "[" & SourcefileName & "]" & SourceSheetName & "'!H7"
        MyCell.Offset(, 2).Formula = "='" & SourceDirectory & "[" & SourcefileName & "]" & SourceSheetName & "'!F19"
        MyCell.Offset(, 3).Formula = "='" & SourceDirectory & "[" & SourcefileName & "]" & SourceSheetName & "'!F20"
        MyCell.Offset(, 4).Formula = "='" & SourceDirectory & "[" & SourcefileName & "]" & SourceSheetName & "'!F21"
        MyCell.Resize(1, 5).Value = MyCell.Resize(1, 5).Value

SourcefileName = Dir
    Loop
'
End Sub

Upvote 0
It's worth noting that you can rewrite johnnyL's macro in such a way that you don't have to open/close all those workbooks, possibly saving some time:

VBA Code:
Sub LoopThroughFilesV3()
Dim DestinationRow  As Long, MyCell As Range
'
    DestinationRow = 1                                                                  ' <--- Set this to the top row for the results
'
'

Set MyCell = ThisWorkbook.Sheets(DestinationSheetName).Cells(DestinationRow, "A")
        MyCell.Offset(, 0).Formula = "='" & SourceDirectory & "[" & SourcefileName & "]" & SourceSheetName & "'!B5"
        MyCell.Offset(, 1).Formula = "='" & SourceDirectory & "[" & SourcefileName & "]" & SourceSheetName & "'!H7"
        MyCell.Offset(, 2).Formula = "='" & SourceDirectory & "[" & SourcefileName & "]" & SourceSheetName & "'!F19"
        MyCell.Offset(, 3).Formula = "='" & SourceDirectory & "[" & SourcefileName & "]" & SourceSheetName & "'!F20"
        MyCell.Offset(, 4).Formula = "='" & SourceDirectory & "[" & SourcefileName & "]" & SourceSheetName & "'!F21"
        MyCell.Resize(1, 5).Value = MyCell.Resize(1, 5).Value

SourcefileName = Dir
    Loop
'
End Sub

Thank you!

Is there a way to change the DestinationSheetName to the 1st or active worksheet in the workbook, since some of the worksheets don't have the same name, and all my .xlsx have only one worksheet per file.

Lastly, is there a way to change the destination directory to something that would allow me to share the macro without changing the script.

The spreadsheet could be in folder S1 on the desktop, and all the files could be in a folder name S2 that is located in S1.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I think you are confusing Destination with Source @ceytl. Please rephrase your last post.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure I explained it very well, but I want to open an excel spreadsheet run the VBA script to go into the S1 folder and go through each .xlsx file and copy the information back to my opened sheet. In the S1 folder the workbook sheet names are all the same, named: D1,
Are all of the desired sheet names "D1" or not?

Do you want "D1" or the only sheet in the xlsx file?

Upvote 0
Are all of the desired sheet names "D1" or not?

Do you want "D1" or the only sheet in the xlsx file?

All the sheets I have been working with are named D1, but I want to search other sheets that are named different, is there a way to search for the first sheet in .xlsx file?

Upvote 0
All the sheets I have been working with are named D1, but I want to search other sheets that are named different, is there a way to search for the first sheet in .xlsx file?

In my version, no. You have to know the complete address of the cell. In johnnyL's version, you can change this line:

VBA Code:

to

VBA Code:
With wb2.Sheets(1)

to get the data from the first sheet.

As far as looking in different folders, you have to tell the macro (either version) where to look. I can't think of any way for the macro to decide where to look by itself.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back