Pull ODBC data on tab open--Help needed

danock

Hello--

I'd like to read 5 part numbers in tab 1 and have the descriptions pulled via ODBC and placed in tab 2 when tab 2 is opened. At the time the part numbers are entered in tab 1, there will be no ODBC connection. I would prefer to populate the descriptions automatically when tab 2 is opened, but if we had to make a "retrieve/refresh" button that would be okay.

I know Excel well, but I do not know VBA or macros well, so I need complete instructions. Thanks!

I have been able to access the data via Data | Get External Data | From Other Sources | From Microsoft Query. From "Databases" I choose "AS400*". From "Query Wizard - Choose Columns" I click the + on "ITEMFILE". Column "ITEMID" contains the part number I want to lookup, and ITEMDESC contains the description I would like to pull and show. I end up with a table with all the part numbers and descriptions in the AS400, so I'm partially there.

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back