Pull Random Data

Carrie

Is there anyway to get Access to pull random data?

For instance: I am doing an audit of calls that have been closed. Well, I need it to randomly select data from the closed calls so that I can audit it.

Thanks,
Carrie

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
I suppose you could put a random calculation formula in a query to decide whether or not to audit it.

How would you like it to work? What percentage do you want audited?

Upvote 0
We are needing 10% audited right now.

Here is the query I have so far:

SELECT Call.Call_Num, Org.OrgName, Call.ClosedDate
FROM (Call INNER JOIN Org ON Call.Org_ID = Org.Org_ID) INNER JOIN zSysUser ON Call.ClosedBy = zSysUser.UserName
WHERE (((Call.ClosedDate)>=#2/18/2004# And (Call.ClosedDate)<=#2/19/2004#) AND ((zSysUser.Queue1) Like ".FLS*" And (zSysUser.Queue1) Not Like "*HW") AND ((Call.Project)=0) AND ((Call.IsClosed)=-1));

Let me know.

Upvote 0
Similar to the calculation in Excel, create a similar calculation in Access in a query using the RND function.

Upvote 0
I am not good with Access...is there a way you could explain the RND function and how to use it?

Sorry, I am a beginner with Access.

Upvote 0
This is what I see in the thread you referrenced.

SELECT TOP 20 PERCENT tblTest.TestData
FROM tblTest
ORDER BY RandomID([TestID])

It says top 20 percent. I want a random percentage not just the top of it. Meaning if there were 100 rows of data I would want 10 rows extracted randomly. Not the top 10 rows...is that what this will do?

Also, the tblTest.TestData...does this represent the field that I want randomly selected? So in my case I want a random 10% of the call number so it would be:

SELECT TOP 10 PERCENT Call.Call_Num
FROM Call
ORDER BY RandomID([CallID])

I am pretty fuzzy on how to write code but I am pretty good at the design view...just not when I have to add stuff.

Upvote 0
You need to copy that code for the Random function into a public module so that you query can access it. Then in your query, if you go into the SQL View instead of Design View, you should be able to edit the query appropriately. Changing it to "Top 10 Percent" should work.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back