Pulling information into a new workbook from a closed one...???

BrianExcel

Hey folks,

I am trying to pull in data from a sheet in one workbook to another sheet in a different workbook. Neither is protected in any way, but I'd like to program code into a button (or into workbook_open) so it automatically pulls the information in.

I've searched online but haven't found much that walks you through how to do this step by step. Can anyone assist?

For simplicity, let's use workbook1 sheet 1 as the source, and workbook2 sheet 2 as the destination. Ideally I'd like to use the .End(xldown) code as well so it automatically looks for the end of the data instead of hard coding A1:E500 or something.

We'll say for example sake that both workbooks are located at c:/brian

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.

BrianExcel

Thanks Hiker! I'll give these a try. I tried searching through the forum but I wasn't able to find much. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Fazza

MrExcel MVP
hi, Brian

If you're data is in a table like structure, and (apart from the headers) each field/column has exclusively text or numbers, a query table might be OK. Needs no code & no formulas.

Set it up via menu ALT-D-D-N & follow the wizard. If you don't have a normal (non-dynamic) named range for the source data, the very first time you'll get a message about no visible cells: OK to acknowledge & then take 'options' & 'systems tables' to be able to see worksheet names. Along the way you can filter if you want or aggregate data. Even join multiple tables and do some SQL. Once finished, you can right click to the query table's properties and set it to refresh on file open. Otherwise manually refresh as required like a pivot table.

HTH

Subscribe on YouTube

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KrisF

This Week's Hot Topics

• Turn fraction around
    Hello I need to turn a fraction around, for example I have 1/3 but I need to present as 3/1
  • TIme Clock record reformatting to ???
    Hello All, I'd like some help formatting this (Tbl-A)(Loaded via Power Query) [ATTACH type="full" width="511px" alt="PQdata.png"]22252[/ATTACH]...
  • TextBox Match
    hi, I am having a few issues with my code below, what I need it to do is when they enter a value in textbox8 (QTY) either 1,2 or 3 the 3 textboxes...
  • Using Large function based on Multiple Criteria
    Hello, I can't seem to get a Large formula to work based on two criteria's. I can easily get a oldest value based one value, but I'm struggling...
  • Can you check my code please
    Hi, Im going round in circles with a Compil Error End With Without With Here is the code [CODE=rich] Private Sub...
  • Combining 2 pivot tables into 1 chart
    Hello everyone, My question sounds simple but I do not know the answer. I have 2 pivot tables and 2 charts that go with this. However I want to...