Pulling information into a new workbook from a closed one...???

BrianExcel

Hey folks,

I am trying to pull in data from a sheet in one workbook to another sheet in a different workbook. Neither is protected in any way, but I'd like to program code into a button (or into workbook_open) so it automatically pulls the information in.

I've searched online but haven't found much that walks you through how to do this step by step. Can anyone assist?

For simplicity, let's use workbook1 sheet 1 as the source, and workbook2 sheet 2 as the destination. Ideally I'd like to use the .End(xldown) code as well so it automatically looks for the end of the data instead of hard coding A1:E500 or something.

We'll say for example sake that both workbooks are located at c:/brian

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Thanks Hiker! I'll give these a try. I tried searching through the forum but I wasn't able to find much. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Upvote 0
hi, Brian

If you're data is in a table like structure, and (apart from the headers) each field/column has exclusively text or numbers, a query table might be OK. Needs no code & no formulas.

Set it up via menu ALT-D-D-N & follow the wizard. If you don't have a normal (non-dynamic) named range for the source data, the very first time you'll get a message about no visible cells: OK to acknowledge & then take 'options' & 'systems tables' to be able to see worksheet names. Along the way you can filter if you want or aggregate data. Even join multiple tables and do some SQL. Once finished, you can right click to the query table's properties and set it to refresh on file open. Otherwise manually refresh as required like a pivot table.

HTH

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back