Pulling Tournament History across rounds

spyrious

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello there! I am attempting to make an end of Swiss round report of the Top 8 players that will be playing in the single elimination rounds of a tournament. This would show, for example, the player who is 1st seed, the opponent they played against each round, and the results of each round. I'm trying to make the sheet as simple as possible, since I will not be at the event when it is happening and want to make sure the people who are there can simply drop the data into a Data Input tab and have the formulas do their work. I have sample data from a past event to work with. Here's a what the headers are and some made up data

RoundTablePlayer 1 NamePlayer 1 IDPlayer 2 NamePlayer 2 IDResult
6465Ashley####Bob####1WIN

The Round column is descending from the most recent round to the first round, and the number of matchups in that round varies as players drop from the tournament (either know they won't get prizes, or just need to leave).
The Result column lists either 1WIN, 2WIN, or DRAW, if Player 1 wins, Player 2 wins, or it's a draw respectively.
The table and ID numbers are irrelevant for what I'm trying to do.
Each player is only listed in either Column C or Column E for each round, not both.

I started by using XLOOKUP to check the Top 8 players and see who they played each round. Adding the first seeded player in L2, and "1" in M1 looking at Round 1, I came up with this.

=XLOOKUP($M$1&$L2,A:A&C:C,E:E,(XLOOKUP($M$1&$L2,A:A&E:E,C:C)))

This returned the opponent for the player name in L2 for Round 1, no matter if the L2 name was in column C or E. Then I ran into my issue. I need the result of the matchup, and I can change the formula above to give me the information from the Result column, but I won't know if the player name in L2 was actually Player 1 or Player 2.

=XLOOKUP($M$1&$L2,A:A&C:C,G:G,(XLOOKUP($M$1&$L2,A:A&E:E,G:G)))

Is there a way to get the results to display if the name in L2 won or lost? Is there just a better way to go about this?

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back