Push Schedule

maghrabi

Office Version
  1. 2016
HI ,

I am a guy, that does so many things at the same time at work, and more often than not , i have to leave one thing and do something else instead out of urgency .. things pop up all the timem which makes it very hard fo me to stick to an actual todo list and track what i am doing .. it is jsut impossible to be constantly reschduling all the time what i need to do..

so i need somthing to do all that reshcduling for me

I am trying to put together an autoshceduler where if put in a task, then it would get auto assigned a time slot without the need to manually shchedule it , or rescedule it if needed

so the idea is , if i have 5 one hour tasks , if i start now , i can finish in 5 hours , however , if , for any reason , a new additional unscheduled task poped out of no where and i have to do it right now , i can schedule this new task it to start now, then all other 5 tasks would be pushed one hour ahead

so in a way similar to how a project gets auto resheduled in microsfot projects, exept i am not pushing days , i am pushing hours instead

The rules i am trying to establish are as follows

1- a task can be assigned to any time slot as long as it is not overlapping with another task
2- a task that has the value "static" next to it in an adjacent cell, should not be pushed/reshceduled , and should remain in its oriignal time scheudled

For exmaple if it is 9 am , and i am planning to go in this order

9 am task 1
10 am task 2
11 am task 3
12 pm free slot!

then all of the sudden a new task 4 pops up and requires my imediate attention ... then my schedule should automatically update as follws

9 am task 4
10 am task 1
11 am task 2
12 pm task 3

and if the 12 pm slot was already booked by a static task as such

9 am task 1
10 am task 2
11 am task 3
12 pm task 5 static

then this should be accounted for

9 am task 4
10 am task 1
11 am task 2
12 pm task 5 static
1 pm task 3

so the below sheet , allows you to enter a task name ,duration, task type(static or not), and if static what time to pin the task to

column E simply takes the beguining of myschedule and piles up the tasks on top of each other

the bit i am struggling with , is getting normal tasks to hop over the static tasks if pushed in the schedule , so as you can see in column F, row 6 , task number 3 was not pushed, and remained as it should in the same time slot indicated in Column L , but now the previous task 2 is overlapping with it , instead of being pushed past task 3

and thats the part i want to know if it is possible to be done or not , i tried so many things with no luck and i am afraid i dont have the skill to do it!

also i am really trying hard to avoid using macros, as i want this to work on excell mobile , .. not that i would know how to do it in VBA any way , but i am leaving this option for last

so , yeah , i also would like to add that i searched the internet for anything that can do this , but couldnt find any thing but simple time sheets , which is quite strange ( for me at least )that no one finds this usefull , or perhaps i am just using the wrong key words i dont know ..

any ways thank you for reading my post, and thanks in advance for your help

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F4:F26F4=D4+K4
E5:E26E5=IF(J5="static",L5,MROUND(E4+K4,15/60/24))
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
1:1048576Expression=$J$4=calltextNO

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back