Put a word in a column based on value of another column

yakhtar

Hello, I would like to put the words "good", "bad" or "average" based on the value of another column. the values in Column "A" are from 1 to 10. If the value is 9 or 10 I would like to put "good" in column "B". If the value is 6-8 I would like to put "average" and so on. Can anyone assist?

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
One way is to use a nested IF statement, i.e.
Code:
=IF(A1>=9,"good",IF(A1>=6,"average","bad"))

Upvote 0
One way is to use a nested IF statement, i.e.
Code:
=IF(A1>=9,"good",IF(A1>=6,"average","bad"))

Thank you.

I just noticed that two of the values are not numeric so instead of 10 the value is "Very Likely=10" and instead of 1 the value is "1=very Unlikely". In this case how would I use the nested if statement?

Upvote 0
How many different values do you have?
Do you values really look like "Very Likely=10" and "1=very Unlikely", so in some, the number is at the beginning and in others, it is at the end (if so, that is not a very good, consistent design!).

If you have 10 options, it may be best to create a lookup table listing each option and the value to return for each, using the VLOOKUP function, like shown here: https://www.gcflearnfree.org/excel-tips/how-to-use-excels-vlookup-function/1/

Upvote 0
How many different values do you have?
Do you values really look like "Very Likely=10" and "1=very Unlikely", so in some, the number is at the beginning and in others, it is at the end (if so, that is not a very good, consistent design!).

If you have 10 options, it may be best to create a lookup table listing each option and the value to return for each, using the VLOOKUP function, like shown here: https://www.gcflearnfree.org/excel-tips/how-to-use-excels-vlookup-function/1/

Thank you Joe, you've been most helpful!

Upvote 0
You are welcome.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back