query another excel file?

bdee1

Board Regular
i am working on an excel project which needs to import data from another excel file.

is there any way that i can use VBA from my original sheet to import the records from another excel file where a specific feild is within a specified date range?

:rolleyes:

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
thanks for the link - looks liek some good info.

i grabbed the sub code from http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/index.php?d=envbadacwbdbado

and i made sure to add the reference to ADO in the VB editor in excel.

however when i run the code with this statement:
GetWorksheetData "C:\Documents and Settings\BDEE1\Desktop\2003cmg.xlw", "SELECT * FROM [A$];", ThisWorkbook.Sheets("SV_Download").Range("A3")

i get the following error:
"Compile Error: User-defined type not defined"

and the debugger highlights the first line of the sub and "cn As ADODB.Connection" in the second line.

did i miss something? is there something else i need to do to make it work?

Upvote 0
That statement should also be in a sub, eg:

Code:
Sub Test()
GetWorksheetData "C:\Documents and Settings\BDEE1\Desktop\2003cmg.xlw", "SELECT * FROM [A$];", ThisWorkbook.Sheets("SV_Download").Range("A3") 
End Sub

Is it?

Upvote 0
actually i went back and looked and the reference to ado did not stick so i added the reference again and now it works but the data it gets is not exactly right...

the first couple rows of the closed workbook are header rows so row 1 is blank except column E which has the sheet title

row 2 is blank except column E which has the year.

row 3 is blank

row 4 contains the column headings

row 5 starts the data.

so is there a way to use the sub i am using and have it start retrieving from row 5?

Upvote 0
Andrew Poulsom said:
That statement should also be in a sub, eg:

Code:
Sub Test()
End Sub

Is it?

yeah it is in a sub.

Upvote 0
when querying a closed workbook with
Code:

if i want to add a WHERE clause, what do i use for column names?

Upvote 0
unfortunately the sheet i am pulling the data from has the first 3 rows blank with a centered sheet title so most of the first row is blank. is there any way i can use the 4th row for the row headers

so that in my sql query's where clause, my feild names woudl be the headings in row 4 of the sheet?

Upvote 0
anyone? there must be a way during import to tell it to start on row 4 of the closed worksheet.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back