Query Issue

jerry8989

Has everyone every opened a query and then saved it and then when you run the query it errors out. When you go back in to edit the query it is completely different. This query has a bunch of unions but when I save and open up they are gone and nothing works.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Yes... I've saved queries, only to have them error out when I run them... usually cuz of something I did incorrectly and saved without testing first.
Nope, can't say I've ever saved one, opened it only to find it completely different from what I created.

Is this on the same machine you had your previous problem on?

Access doesn't work that way. Windows doesn't work that way.... Basic DOS does not work that way. (Linux doesn't work that way either). Hardware malfunctions DO however, cause things like that... usually bad memory, but I would think that you would be getting some sort of indication of a problem outside of simply creating a query only to find it didn't save as you wrote it.

Upvote 0
It is on the same machine with the other problem. We had Access 2000 and we uninstalled it and reinstalled Access 2003. I think I need to do a scandisk or a defrag to see if that points something out. It is by far the wiredest programming issue i've ever seen. That same thing works fine on my machine which makes your point about bad memory or hard drive. Any suggestions on what else I should try to see if the memory is bad?

Upvote 0
Run a memory test program. I don't have any to recommend but you should be able to find one on the internet.

Upvote 0
Hi
Before you take too much drastic action, have a read of the this thread - in particular check out the before and after images in the 5th post. This is another case of entering something in a query and after you save it, it re-writes completely differently (but in a different context). If the same thing occurs on a second PC then I don't think it will be a hardware issue. Can you explain what you want to do? Maybe we could look at the design of the query instead.
Andrew
P.S. If you want a free RAM tester, search for MemTest86 on Google.

Upvote 0
I found a way around it by opening a new query and pasting the query in. Then I went to the visual design and then saved and it worked fine. There is an issue with the SQL part compared to the visual design part. The query works fine I wrote it a while back and it has worked fine. I have another employee who is working on the DB and she received the error. Thanks everyone for all your help. I'm sure I will have more issues down the road and I thank you from now.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back