Query or Table Issue

gmazza76

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Afternoon

I have a table that holds an open and closed date in 2 seperate columns with a name in another and a column that states open or closed.
Is there a way I can create a query that will give me in seperate columns the following

Name - Raised Yesteday - Closed yesterday

I know how to create a query, but cant get both as I am unsure how to use the expression builder

All help appreciated
Thanks
Gavin

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Will each unique name only have one Open record and one Closed record?

Upvote 0
each record is a unique one in the table with a heading for
Agent - Type - Open On - Closed On - Pended - status

So I want the report/query to give me information of how many opened yesterday and closed yesterday.
This would be identifiable by checking the status.
[type] ="Enquiry" + [Open]=Date()-1 + [Status]<>"Closed" would give the total for opened enquiries yesterday
[type] ="Enquiry" + [Closed On]=Date()-1 + [Status]="Closed" would give the total for closed enquiries yesterday
But I then need to show the same for "Complaints" as well if possible all together.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
I think it would be even more helpful if you could post a small sampling of data, and your expected results.
Data and data structure is so important here, so it would be great to see that.

Upvote 0
Do you need to bring the status into it? In your criteria if an enquiry was opened and closed yesterday it would count as closed but not as raised. Surely if it has an opened on date of yesterday that is when it was raised and if it has a closed on date that is when it was closed?

Assuming your dates are stored as dates something like the following should work

Code:
SELECT Agent, Sum(IIf(([Type]="Enquiry" And [Open on]=Date()-1),1,0)) AS [Raised Yesterday], Sum(IIf(([Type]="Enquiry" And [Closed on]=Date()-1),1,0)) AS [Closed Yesterday]
FROM MyTable
GROUP BY Agent;

Upvote 0
I'm probably missing something(s) but looking at the expressions...

If the presence of a ClosedDate means it's closed, why worry about a status of Closed as well?
... the total for opened enquiries yesterday is this not the count of all that were opened yesterday, regardless of when it was closed?
... the total for closed enquiries yesterday is this not the count of all that were closed yesterday, regardless of when it was opened?
Maybe consider a crosstab query so that you can get counts grouped by type.

Wondering if the posted table/field names are for real? There are a couple of reserved words being used (type, open).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back