Querying a shared Excel workbook

Mudface

MrExcel MVP
I have several shared Excel files that I'd like to query across a network. I've clicked Data- Import Data and followed the Wizard, but keep getting an alert stating that the file could not be decrypted with a heading of 'ODBC Excel Driver Login failed'. Is it possible to query shared files or am I missing a driver on my system or something? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I can query existing (unshared) workbooks with no problem, so it looks like it's an issue with shared workbooks.
This message was edited by Mudface on 2002-10-21 04:30

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Hello,

Are you using Excel to query these workbooks, or some other tool? I can't recreate your problem. I can query shared workbooks no problem. The ODBC driver I'm using is version 4.00.6019.00.

Dan

Upvote 0
Oops. After seeing Andrew's post, I can recreate your problem....is the workbook password protected?

Upvote 0
Yes, it is password protected. Thanks, Andrew for the link, sums up my problem neatly. Unfortunately, I can't un-password protect the workbooks as QA needs the Change History for auditing and they don't want anyone to be able to remove sharing without a password. The other workaround, opening up the source at the same time, isn't really an option, as it was speed I was looking for.

Never mind, I was pasting links from the workbooks into a separate one for a pivot table summary, but thought querying would be a quicker process and less likely to lead to huge files. Guess they'll have to put up with that...

cheers, guys.

Upvote 0
Doesn't work with the file open at the same time either. Ho-hum, never mind, I'm converting them to Access anyway, shouldn't be a problem querying from Excel with that.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honeymonster123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back