QueryTable.Refresh error in recorded macro (1004 of course!)

puddleplasher

I have tried to make this as simple as possible to track this down, but Excel's macro recording just doesn't seem to be recording the right thing... I just can't figure out WHAT it's recording wrong.

Simple macro steps: create new workbook, Data:From Text, select .txt file, when Query preview window comes up click directly on Load, data gets loaded, no problem during recording. Playback fails, giving error 1004: "The value isn't a single-character string" and debug highlights the .Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False line. I know both that line and 1004 are common sources of complaints but the actual problem is usually elsewhere... but I can't find it.

Full code:
Code:
Sub Macro1()
'
' Macro1 Macro
'

'
    Workbooks.Add
    ActiveWorkbook.Queries.Add Name:="Salesrep", Formula:= _
        "let" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "    Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents(""C:\Users\Ann\Documents\Salesrep.txt""),[Delimiter=""  "", Columns=7, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None])," & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "    #""Promoted Headers"" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true])," & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "    #""Changed Type"" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#""Promoted Heade" & _
        "rs"",{{""Product"", type text}, {""Year"", Int64.Type}, {""Month"", type text}, {""Sales"", Int64.Type}, {""Units"", Int64.Type}, {""Salesperson"", type text}, {""Region"", type text}})" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "in" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "    #""Changed Type"""
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets.Add
    With ActiveSheet.ListObjects.Add(SourceType:=0, Source:= _
        "OLEDB;Provider=Microsoft.Mashup.OleDb.1;Data Source=$Workbook$;Location=Salesrep;Extended Properties=""""" _
        , Destination:=Range("$A$1")).QueryTable
        .CommandType = xlCmdSql
        .CommandText = Array("SELECT * FROM [Salesrep]")
        .RowNumbers = False
        .FillAdjacentFormulas = False
        .PreserveFormatting = True
        .RefreshOnFileOpen = False
        .BackgroundQuery = True
        .RefreshStyle = xlInsertDeleteCells
        .SavePassword = False
        .SaveData = True
        .AdjustColumnWidth = True
        .RefreshPeriod = 0
        .PreserveColumnInfo = True
        .ListObject.DisplayName = "Salesrep"
        .Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False
    End With
End Sub

Any ideas?

'plash

Follow-up: I know people have gotten this error when the data source hasn't been available -- so this is looking at a simple text file on the hard drive. I know it's been a problem in loops -- so no loop here. I know this used to mis-record the .CommandType line in previous versions, but it seems to be doing something legit in this version (Office 365 with updates). I know sometimes the .RefreshStyle setting has sometimes been a problem -- but I tried all the options with this and it made no difference. Argh!

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Solved and posting for reference by future folk:

The macro recorder wasn't recording the tab separator for the data values correctly. Where the code above said [Delimiter="" "" it should have said [Delimiter=""#(tab)"" instead (in other words, it recorded a literal Tab instead of the appropriately-worded tab argument for Formula string of the Queries.Add method.)

See this page for more: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/of...tFrameworkMoniker-Office.Version=v16)&rd=true

'plash

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back