Question about automatically sorting data

kzgilson

I have tried browsing the board to find an answer to my question, but I can't seem to find one. I have a spreadsheet that contains the standings for ACC (Atlantic Coast Conference) men's basketball.

I have the following 8 header columns in cells b26 to i26. Team Name, Conference Wins, Conference Losses, Conference Winning %, Overall Record, RPI Ranking, AP Poll Ranking, ESPN Poll Ranking.

There are 9 rows of data that I am sorting (for the nine teams in the ACC).

I want to have the data sort automatically by winning % (in descending order) and then by RPI ranking (in ascending order) so that when winning % is updated the standings are automatically updated. If anyone can help me with this, it would be much appreciated.

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Simple solution:

Record a macro sorting the column as you suggest.

Create a macro button on the worksheet. Assign the recorded macro to the button. When you update the scores etc - press the button to re-sort the data.

The only other way is to use a change event - and these (in my opinion) are cumbersome as they will run whenever you change anything on the sheet, obviously you can insert a clause to exit the code pending the active cell but it's probably not worth all the agro to be honest.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back