Question about dynamic arrays

TomCon

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
I have Excel 365 and it is upgraded to current so i believe i have dynamic arrays.
Two questions about arrays and dynamic arrays.
(1)
This formula only works if entered with Ctl-Shift-Enter, the old way.
=SUM(IF(goal!CN1551:CN1685=goal!CO1551:CO1685,1,0))
If i enter it without Ctl-Shift-Enter it gives #VALUE, but if entered with Ctl-Shift-Enter it gives the correct answer.
Shouldn't it simply work as a dynamic array without Ctl-Shift-Enter?
(2)
A slight modification. This formula also works [only] with Ctl-Shift-Enter and gives the correct answer.
=SUM(IF(OFFSET(goal!$A$1,1550,91,1685-1551+1,1)=goal!CO1551:CO1685,1,0))
But, if i change the column number (91) argument to COLUMN($CN$1)-1 [which evaluates to 91], it now gives #VALUE in all cases, whether entered with Ctl-Shift-Enter or not.
=SUM(IF(OFFSET(goal!$A$1,1550,COLUMN(goal!$CN$1)-1,1685-1551+1,1)=goal!CO1551:CO1685,1,0))}
Gives #VALUE. Why can one not put the expression COLUMN($CN$1) in the formula as an argument? Is there a workaround?

Thank you!

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
I have Excel 365 and it is upgraded to current so i believe i have dynamic arrays.

I understand not all Excel365 users have access yet to dynamic arrays. Your description suggests that you do not.

If you do this, i.e. enter the single formula B1:=A1:A5, what do you see?

- A dynamic array spilling down over B2:B5, as pictured here?
- Or just a single value 1 displaying in B1? (But B1 actually holding the array {1;2;3;4;5})?

AB
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1:B5B1=A1:A5
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
If you are on the semi-annual channel, you wont get the dynamic arrays until about July.

Upvote 0
I have Excel 365
I suggest that you update your Account details (click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version & (platform) you are using. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
I understand not all Excel365 users have access yet to dynamic arrays. Your description suggests that you do not.

If you do this, i.e. enter the single formula B1:=A1:A5, what do you see?

- A dynamic array spilling down over B2:B5, as pictured here?
- Or just a single value 1 displaying in B1? (But B1 actually holding the array {1;2;3;4;5})?

AB
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1:B5B1=A1:A5
Dynamic array formulas.
I see the single value. So, i guess i do not have dynamic arrays. I am very confused and wonder if i could "imagine" the following but i swear that earlier I had observed that i did have the behavior of dynamic arrays. Maybe i am mistaken about that. Have there been any cases of regression back to non-dynamic arrays? Thanks!

Upvote 0
I suggest that you update your Account details (click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version & (platform) you are using. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)
thank you. Done!

Upvote 0
What channel are you on?

Upvote 0
If you are on the semi-annual channel, you wont get the dynamic arrays until about July.
Can you tell me how to tell what distribution channel i am on. Looking at "account" in Excel i do not see anything that indicates that.

Upvote 0
Looking at "account" in Excel i do not see anything that indicates that.
That is the place to look.

1587433860400.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RExcelSearch

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back