Question About Graphs

tbarter

Let's see if I can explain this....I would like to create a chart that has the following: One being Fuel Lbs/hr. (along side axis) and RPMs (along bottom axis) and the third one would be whatever number I type in. Is there a way I can do this and just have a column where I can add the variable and the graph/chart would update accordingly?

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
I think I understand... I'll try to explain this.

To make a chart you need your two constant values, which go along the X axis (across the bottom) and Y axis (on left side going top to bottom). In your case you have fuel lbs/hr as your Y axis and your RPM's as your X. The other thing you need, is your changing data (what you called variable data).

Open a new Excel workbook and in cell A2, A3, A4, A5, A6 enter your fixed values for fuel lbs/hr which will end up on the Y axis; such as:
20 lbs/hr
40 lbs/hr
60 lbs/hr
80 lbs/hr
100 lbs/hr

Then in cell B1, C1, D1, E1, F1 enter your fixed values for RPM's which will end up on the X axis; such as:
100 200 300 400 500

You can put little gridlines in this "area" that you just created and shade it in blue or something, to easily see it when you fill in your variable data. It should be a 5x5 grid (5 columns by 5 rows)

Anywhere in that grid:
- hit the chart icon
- select Line Graph
- hit Next
- hit that little square icon at the end of the "white bar" that Data range:
- highlight from cell A1 to F6
- hit the little icon again, at the end of the "white bar"
- hit Next
- Under the "Title" tab, you can put whatever title you want, under Chart Title
- Under X axis you can put RPM's
- Under Y axis you can put whatever this chart is supposed to be measuring
- On the Legend tab, you can click the "Bottom" button.
- Under the Data Labels tab, you can put Value
- hit next then hit Finish

This puts the chart into the same sheet as your data. If you would rather have a separate sheet for your chart, repeat the steps above, but on the last step, select "As new sheet", then finish.

As a test, put data across one row. For example, on row 4 (which should be the "60 lbs/hr" row), enter in cell B4 a value of 20. In cell C4 enter 60 D4 enter 50 E4 enter 80 and F4 enter 30. As you change your variable data, you'll see that the chart updates itself.

This is a farirly simple chart example, but hopefuly it's a start bud. :biggrin:

gary

Upvote 0
OK. I think I'm getting there. How do I change the increments on the X axis? I would like the increments from 2,000-8,000 in 250 increments.

Upvote 0
That didn't work. It works for the Y axis, but not for the X axis. The only options I have are:

Value Y crosses at category number
Number of categories between tick mark labels
Number of categories between tick marks

Right now my Y axis shows 1 - 25, but I would like for it to be 2000-8000.

Upvote 0
using this thread

Hi,

I have a question and thought I could just use this thread. If we follow the suggestions above we build a graph with RPMs on the x axis and the other variable I called pounds on the y axis. There are then five different curves. The legend identifies them only as "column B, column C etc".
How can we name these quantities instead of having the as "columns"?
Also, the first value on the x axis appears as "row 1". Any way to remove this?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi tbarter

That didn't work. It works for the Y axis, but not for the X axis.

You should not be using the Line Chart. You want to use the a Scatter Graph.

Change the chart type to XY scatter and you'll be able to customize the X axis the way you want.

Hope this helps
PGC

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back