Question on keeping track of Job History

bh24524

Office Version
  1. 2021
  2. 2007
I have a spreadsheet I use to track various information about employees, such as job held, pay rate, schedule, etc. From time to time we will get asked to check and see if an employee has ever held a specific job before. (How employees can't remember stuff like this, I have no idea, but there you are) What this often involves is us having to go back to check their employee files which are FULL of many documents. We have to search and see if there are any documents stating when that employee might have changed to a different job. This is VERY tedious and time consuming as we have to go thru many papers that aren't relevant and such. I had decided a few months ago that at least going forward, we should be tracking this in that same spreadsheet that has all the list of jobs they currently hold. We enter any job changes in that spreadsheet when they do so. The way this is done is there are actually two tabs with the same exact headers - a "New Bid" tab and an "Old Bid" tab. The New Bid tab is where we would enter any jobs they will be going to for the next week. Every week we then paste the New Bid tab to the Old Bid tab so that the process can reset for the following week's job changes.

So what I've been doing is every week, I've been copying the list of names and jobs held as well as the date they start any new jobs out of the New Bid tab and pasting those to a separate tab. I then sort the list in alpha order and then I do a remove duplicates. This way if John Smith is listed twice with 2 different dates but has the same job, it will delete one of the entries since we are only looking for different job entries per person. This tab will just from now on serve as the history of jobs they've held. My question is if there is a better way to do this or if this is probably already the best way?

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Hi there. It sounds an OK way to go, but I suggest you don't delete the duplicates (you may in the future have a need to know how many times or what dates the jobs were). Having duplicates in the list won't stop you finding that he has done a job. The main thing though would be to automate what you are doing with a macro.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back