Question on record locking management

donwiss

Board Regular
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm developing an application that is all Excel VBA Forms with the data in Access. I have no database background. I developed a record locking system not knowing just what real ones have.

This is my locking management form. There are three types of file systems, hence some blanks. The one with a blank in the Record Name column does have record nnames, but they are edited simultaneously, and so all locked together.

records-lock-onoff.gif

When I added the Last Saved column, what I really wanted to add was the timestamp of when it was locked. Of course, I could add that field to each table, and only complicate things a little.

So my question is just what does a real locking system have? If I add the lock timestamp, does anyone care about when it was last saved?

Also I do not have record IDs. My primary key is the combination of folder and file names. My pseudo-file system.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Okay guys. I surrender. Another reason for switching is to not embarrass myself when someone in the know looks at my code.

All is done and documented. There was not that much SQL code to change. And the retrieval of what files are locked is dramatically simplified. I always like to reduce the code.

So thanks for setting me straight. The end result is much nicer than what I had before.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apwr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back