Question regarding macro button.

Olavfinnerud

Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I have made a table which is for writing hours at work. I recorded a macro where i copied the C6:C17 range and pasted it one to the rigth (D6:D17). I then assigned the macro to the button so when i press it, it adds another column to the table. The problem is that this only works the first time i press the button. I need help to make the button add a column each time i press it, (to the rigth). So when i press it the second time it should add the same column to E6:E17 and the third time F6:F17 etc. I have uploaded a picture of the sheet and the code i have is:

Sub Macro2()

Range("C6:C17").Select
Selection.Copy
Range("D6").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
ActiveSheet.Paste
Application.CutCopyMode = False

End Sub

Thank you in advanced :)

Attachments

• Illustartion forum help.png
    Illustartion forum help.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 6

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Hello, and welcome to the board.

I see that you've used the 'record macro' feature in Excel, since that's about the only method that generates the Range( "specific range address").Select format. Many of us started there, so don't be disheartened; you'll learn more as you go, and I commend you for starting the voyage you're on. (Range.Select is almost never necessary; it's just making the code longer and more tedious to edit later.)

As to your specific question, there may be an easier way to do what you're already attempting. Instead of copying and moving a range (which will obviously grow day by day as you do this), why not consider simply adding a column at C:C, which will have the same effect of 'pushing old data to the right', but without all the added steps.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

Try this:
VBA Code:
Sub Macro2()

Range("C6:C17").Copy
Cells(6, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Offset(0,1).Select
ActiveSheet.Paste

End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Welcome to the Board!

Try this:
VBA Code:
Sub Macro2()

Range("C6:C17").Copy
Cells(6, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Offset(0,1).Select
ActiveSheet.Paste

End Sub
Thank you very much for the great tips, and the code you gave me worked perfectly! :)

Upvote 0
Hello, and welcome to the board.

I see that you've used the 'record macro' feature in Excel, since that's about the only method that generates the Range( "specific range address").Select format. Many of us started there, so don't be disheartened; you'll learn more as you go, and I commend you for starting the voyage you're on. (Range.Select is almost never necessary; it's just making the code longer and more tedious to edit later.)

As to your specific question, there may be an easier way to do what you're already attempting. Instead of copying and moving a range (which will obviously grow day by day as you do this), why not consider simply adding a column at C:C, which will have the same effect of 'pushing old data to the right', but without all the added steps.
Thank you for the welcome and the tips :)

Upvote 0
I also have a problem with the text in the first row, i want to be able to write longer words/sentences in the cell and have the cell expand with the text so it fits in the column. I have tried for some hours now and cant find a solution that works.

Upvote 0
I also have a problem with the text in the first row, i want to be able to write longer words/sentences in the cell and have the cell expand with the text so it fits in the column. I have tried for some hours now and cant find a solution that works.
That is a whole different question, so it should be posted to a new thread.

Upvote 0
Ok, I diden`t know that thanku!
You are welcome.

The general rule of thumb is if you have a new/different question (even if it is on the same project), then you should post it to a new thread so it appears as a new, unanswered question for all to see (and it shows up on the "Unanswered threads" listing that many helpers use to locate unanswered questions).

If you have something like a clarification question about something someone posted, then it is OK to post back to the original thread.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back