Question You are subscribed to this thread Applies to Office Office 2016 Microsoft Office Excel Office for Windows 10 Desktop 4 views SQL Server odbc

Jim Gordon

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
  3. 2019
  4. 2016
  5. 2011
Platform
  1. MacOS
There are several ways to set up ODBC drivers to SQL Server in Excel 2016. There is one method that is cross-platform Mac/PC but this method is not working for me.
One way that does work is from the Data tab of the Ribbon choose Connections. I can set up a connection to my SQL Server that works just fine.

I can get that same dialog box by choosing Data > Get External Data > From Other Sources > From Microsoft Query. Again, this works fine.
The method I can not get to work is New Query > From Database > From SQL Server Database. Using this method is cross-platform. When I use the same server and login information (I choose Use Alternate Credentials) the result is "The user was not authorized." I've tried connecting using the server name as well as the server's IP address, but the result is the same.
I can't figure out why the same user is allowed using some methods but not the method I want to use.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kcolwell16

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back