Questions on Storing Macros

SBF12345

Greetings,

Typically I access my macros via Tools --> Macro-->Macros. This brings up the Macros window and I can navigate to the macro I want to work on. I prefer to save my macros so that they are visible in the Macros window in the form "PERSONAL.XLS!Macro_Name". As I understand a public subroutine can be accesses in any workbook whereas a private subroutine may be accesses by only the workbook to which it has been saved.

I recently had macro show up in the Macros Window list of macros in the form "PERSONAL.XLS!Module178.Macro_Name" where the module was included in the name.

My question is why did this seem to randomly occur? What is the significance of the inclusion of the module name to which the macro was constructed, and how to remove the module178 element from the name? Also, is it possible to organize macros to a file folder system or something similar?

Any other pointers or help in the area of saving macros, editing macro storage, and the like is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
You'll get the module name when there are 2 or more macros with the same name.
Not sure what you mean about organising the macros

Upvote 0
My understanding is any macro you call from another workbook or module will have the reference to where it is living.

If you don't want to see the reference all the time then copy the macro from your personal folder into the module you are working on.

I personally keep several modules in my personal workbook that I have renamed by subject so I can easily find one if required

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back