RAND() and permanently capturing the results

gsacorp

Hi all,
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I am currently using “=ROUND(<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:stockticker>RAND</st1:stockticker></st1:place>()*(99999999-11111111)+11111111,8)” to generate a random 8-digit number.
<o:p></o:p>

1) The formula works – Yay for me!!!
2) I have turned off the sheet’s auto-calc function and must press “F9” for a calculation – that’s fine

Now what I need:
a) To PERMANENTLY capture the number generated in “A1” somewhere. The captured number CAN NOT change every time I press F9 in the <st1:place><st1:stockticker>RAND</st1:stockticker></st1:place> sheet. I’d prefer it to be captured somewhere on the same sheet (i.e “D1”, etc.). Alternately, it could be captured in a new tab/sheet in the same workbook, or lastly in a new workbook.
b) To place a minus (“-“) sign between digits #4 &5 (e.g. xxxx-xxxx)
c) That once a number is used, it is disallowed from future possibilities

I tried using <st1:place>two <st1:stockticker>RAND</st1:stockticker></st1:place>’s with 4-digits each, but could not put them together in a single cell with the minus sign and still had the problem of the number changing.

The reason I need to permanently capture the number is that it will be assigned to an employee as their ID number.

Finally, I know what the words VBA stand for, but have never used it and was hoping to be able to accomplish my task with formula and function within excel.

TIA,

gsacorp

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Greetings,

While I am still oft amazed at what can be done thru formula/worksheet function, other than overwriting the formula w/the value returned, you cannot really save a "first result" so-to-speak.

If VBA is not forbidden, you could use code to return a unique "number" each time it is run.

By way of example, open a new workbook, press ALT + F11. This will open VBIDE (the code window).

From the menubar, Insert | Module.

Paste the following:

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Option</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Explicit</SPAN><br>    <br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> AddEmpNum()<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> rngFoundVal <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> rngLCell <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> strEmpNum <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> bolFound <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Boolean</SPAN><br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> rngLCell = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1)<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Do</SPAN><br>        strEmpNum = UniqueRand<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> rngFoundVal = Range("A:A").Find(What:=strEmpNum, _<br>                                            After:=Cells(Rows.Count, 1), _<br>                                            LookIn:=xlValues, _<br>                                            LookAt:=xlWhole, _<br>                                            SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _<br>                                            SearchDirection:=xlNext)<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Not</SPAN> rngFoundVal <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>            bolFound = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> rngFoundVal = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN><br>            bolFound = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>            rngLCell = strEmpNum<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Loop</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">While</SPAN> bolFound<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br>    <br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Function</SPAN> UniqueRand() <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>    Randomize<br>    UniqueRand = Format(CStr(Int((9999 - 1 + 1) * Rnd + 1)), "0000") & "-" & _<br>                 Format(CStr(Int((9999 - 1 + 1) * Rnd + 1)), "0000")<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Function</SPAN><br></FONT>

When run, this should place a new unique value in the next available cell in Col A of the active sheet.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey GTO,

This looks scary-amazing, I'll look at it more later, but just did the cut-n-paste thing, and it seems to have been accepted.

However, now that it's in, how do I make it work???

TIA,

gsacorp

Upvote 0
If you have definately got it set to manual just put this on the sheet level

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
Range("B" & Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row + 1).Formula = Range("A1").Value
End Sub

Assumes your formula is in A1 and you want the log in B

Upvote 0
Hi Blade,

This looks like VB and simple - thanks. Where/how do I put it on the "sheet" level and how do I make it "work"? Remember, I only know the initials VBA, not how to use it...

TIA,

gsacorp

Upvote 0
Hey GTO,

This looks scary-amazing, I'll look at it more later, but just did the cut-n-paste thing, and it seems to have been accepted.

However, now that it's in, how do I make it work???

TIA,

gsacorp

To run the Sub AddEmpNum, you can install a button on the sheet, or, you can simply press ALT + F8 and the macro dialog box will come up. Select the procedure and press the 'Run' button.

Mark

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moo4247

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back