Random clear contents of one cell

sriche01

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all,

One of my guys in the office works on several spreadsheets. A peculiar phenomenon is developing in which single selected cells are having their contents cleared when he activates the workbook. Many times (but not all) it is the active cell of a multiple cell selection whose contents are deleted. It is usually undoable if he notices it right away. We have talked through possible accidental key strokes that could cause this, but I don't know of a single key stroke that would delete contents of the active cell of a multiple cell selection without leaving the cursor blinking (as backspace does). Any ideas?

I was thinking that maybe we could create a macro that would raise a message box when a cells contents are cleared asking if the user really wanted to clear them.

Perhaps Office needs to be reinstalled.

Office 365/Windows 10

Thanks!

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Did you check the "ThisWorkbook" and each of the "Sheet" modules in the VB Editor to see if there is any automated VBA code in those modules?

Upvote 0
Did you check the "ThisWorkbook" and each of the "Sheet" modules in the VB Editor to see if there is any automated VBA code in those modules?

Thanks for the reply. I should have noted that this happens in multiple spreadsheets, both macro enabled and otherwise. They are also typically spreadsheets stored on onedrive and accessed by multiple users, though his are the only selections in which the active cell is cleared. Sometimes he will discover the deletion, sometimes another user will discover it and, upon investigation, find that it is the active cell on his station. One time it appeared to be a selection on a worksheet he had not activated as part of a workbook he was in another sheet of. It's just wierd.

Upvote 0
Hmmm... That is odd.

If possible, I would recommend first sitting with the user, and watching what he is doing when it happens (sometimes users do weird things, i.e. maybe hitting "F2" or "Delete" accidentally) just to rule that out. And if that does not appear to be the issue, then I would probably try a reinstall.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back