Random Team Selection

normanbox

Hello Everyone,

I'm guessing my question has been asked a few times already, but I can't find the answer. Here's the situation, I have a group of 50 individuals listed in cells A2:A51. Over the last couple of weeks (2 times per week for 2 weeks), I have been putting all 50 in random teams of 5 in cells F2:J6. While I've never repeated the same five, I've been noticing that at times some of the individuals have worked together before and I don't want that. My goal is to have Excel randomly put all names in for me in cells F2:J6 AND not repeat any combinations for any two people so each team is completely new and nobody will have worked with each other before. I calculate that there should be 1,225 combinations of 2 people, so I should be able to have a whole set of totally new teams. I have kept a history of the teams in cells M2:Q22. For simplicity, please use numbers to represent names of people. I also understand that the longer history I have the more difficult it will be to have a completely new team put together. If needed, I can stop and start over once I run out of combinations. Class goes for 10 weeks, so ideally I will go all 10 weeks without a repeat of any two individuals.

Your help is much appreciated! Thank you.

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Your problem is a variant of a problem called "The Social Golfer" problem. It's been around for at least 150 years, and no one's found a general solution for it, although solutions for special cases have been found.

I worked on it quite a bit here:

https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel...aring-excel-arrays-golf-draw-over-5-days.html

although that was for foursomes.

This link:

combinatorics - Social Golfer Problem - Quintets - Mathematics Stack Exchange

claims that 10 teams of five can last for 8 days before repeating, but doesn't give a solution. It provides a link to a PDF that supposedly gives an algorithm, which I don't have time to examine fully. I think your best bet might be to loosen your constraints a bit (2 people can be on the same team 2 times?) and set up a random and/or recursive search algorithm. Depending on how many actual solutions exist for your new constraints, it's possible the random search algorithm might stumble across an acceptable version.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much. I didn't realize it would be that complicated. I'll check out your links, but from the sounds of it, doing it manually might be the best bet.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back