Range determined using Cell Function

stoutbn

Board Regular
I am trying to do a countif with a range that may change columns regularly. Basically I want the range to be the first cell in a particular column, down to another cell within the same column. I'm trying to leverage the Cell() function in my formula, but excel doesn't approve of that method and keeps sending back an error.

Example:

Countif(Cell("address",tbl1[Column1]):tbl1[@[Column1]],tbl1[@[Column1]]).

I am trying to replace this formula:

Countif($B$3:$B3,B3)

This counts duplicates in a moving range.

Does anyone know how to make the Cell() method work or another way to do what I am trying to do? Thanks!

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
I don't understand the first syntax you gave.

In your second COUNTIF formula, it's not clear what you are trying to do exactly. Are you trying to copy the formula down and have it increment columns or what?

Upvote 0
Scott,

That's correct. By the nature of what I have to do, I need to copy/paste the formula 2 cells down into a table. There the formula copies to the bottom row of the column it is pasted in. So basically after a header, the first row of the table would be in cell B3. In that first row, I want the range of the countif to be from B3:B3 with a criteria of B3. But in the second row, for it to be B3:B4 with a criteria of B4. And so on. This is identifying whether a value has appeared yet in the table.

Please let me know if I need to explain further.

As far as the first syntax, I was attempting to substitute the B3, with the address of the cell using table references.

Upvote 0
That's exactly what the formula you gave does when you copy it down.

<b>Sheet1</b><br /><br /><table border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; padding-left:2pt; padding-right:2pt; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:64px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td >*</td><td >A</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td style="text-align:right; ">0</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td style="text-align:right; ">0</td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b>Spreadsheet Formulas</b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Formula</td></tr><tr><td >A1</td><td >=COUNTIF($B$3:$B3,B3)</td></tr><tr><td >A2</td><td >=COUNTIF($B$3:$B4,B4)</td></tr></table></td></tr></table> <br /><br />

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Scott,

Exactly. That is the formula I am trying to replace by using table references. I am doing this because columns will be inserted in this table, possibly before column B, therefore the $B, will then cause problems.

The Cell() function identifies the first cell in a table column ($B$3) and the [@[ symbol takes care of the $B3 and B3 portions.

Does this make sense?

Upvote 0
First time playing with tables, but it seems to know where the original column is even if you insert additional columns before it as it assigns a different column name to the new column when you insert the new one.

Upvote 0
Scott,

That is all fine, but I am looking to make the Cell() function work because Excel is returning an error. This is necessary in the formula.

Upvote 0
Cell Address will return a string so you may need to surround it with INDIRECT.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back