Range.Formula not working with Hyperlink

KBertsch

I work with a BI program, QlikView, that has native export to Excel, but which can't export hyperlinks. I wrote a macro to do this ("wrote" is a misnomer; I cobbled it together from bits and pieces
I found elsewhere):

Code:
Sub ExportToExcel()
      Const xlShiftToRight = -4161
      Const xlPasteValues = -4163 '(&HFFFFEFBD)
	Const xlPasteSpecialOperationNone = -4142 '(&HFFFFEFD2)

Set XLApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application") 'Creating excel instance in VB Script
      XLApp.Visible = True 'Settting the value to False, so this happens in background
      Set XLDoc = XLApp.Workbooks.Add 'Creating new excel workbook

XLDoc.Sheets(1).Name = "Auditor WS" 'Adding the sheet name as Export
      Set XLSheet = XLDoc.Worksheets(1) 'Setting the XLSheet 
      Set MyTable = ActiveDocument.GetSheetObject("CH47") 'Setting MyTable variable to current QlikView Object
      MyTableCount = MyTable.GetRowCount

Set XLSheet = XLDoc.Worksheets(1) 'Select sheet where data should be pasted
      Mytable.CopyTableToClipboard True 'Copy data to Clipboard
      XLSheet.Paste XLSheet.Range("A1") 'Paste data starting at a1
      ' Set objRange = objExcel.Range("Y:Y").EntireColumn
      XLSheet.Columns("Y:Y").Insert xlToRight

' objRange.Insert(xlShiftToRight)
'	    Columns("Y:Y").Select
'    Selection.Insert Shift:=xlToRight
For i = 2 to MyTableCount
'     	XLSheet.Range("Y"&i).Formula = "=Hyperlink(X"&i&")" 'This Excel formula changes the Text in column X to a hyper link in Column Y
'       It used to work, but now it doesn't so I tried the line below; that didn't work either. 
	XLSheet.Range("Y"&i).Formula = "=Hyperlink("&Range("X"&i).Value&")"
Next 
' Now have to copy column Y onto itself, but use PasteSpecial to paste values, not references, then rename column and delete original X column
	XLSheet.Range("Y1:Y"&MyTableCount).Copy
	XLSheet.Range("Y1:Y"&MyTableCount).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
	XLSheet.Range("Y1").Formula = "IMAGE" ' Restore the column name
	XLSheet.Columns("X:X").Delete xlToLeft ' Delete the original IMAGE column
	XLApp.Close True

End Sub[\code]

This used to work, but now doesn't. When I look at the new Excel file, the column that should be the links has the correct path, underlined in blue,
but it's not a hyperlink (and the cell doesn't contain the formula "=hyperlink(", just the path).

Any thoughts/tips? Thanks in advance for your help!

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
I'm afraid I didn't express myself clearly.

My file in QlikView contains, for example, "abc.com/123456.pdf"

In the EXPORTED file, I want the column to contain "=hyperlink(abc.com/123456.pdf)", so that when the user clicks on it once, it opens up the .pdf file.

Right now, all I'm getting in the exported file is "abc.com/123456.pdf", and while it LOOKS like a hyper link (text is blue and underlined) clicking on it
is like voting; nothing happens.

The link you provided seems to be for someone who has WORKING hyperlinks, and just wants to extract the URL from them; completely the reverse of my situation!

But I appreciate your response, thanks!

Upvote 0
That's because of:

Rich (BB code):
XLSheet.Range("Y1:Y"&MyTableCount).Copy
XLSheet.Range("Y1:Y"&MyTableCount).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues

Upvote 0
Andrew, clearly you're much smarter than I, but I'm having a couple of problems. First and foremost, QlikView for some godforsaken reason uses VBS instead of VBA. They are almost, but not quite the same, so I get a lot of syntax errors.

Second, I don't know what the "Anchor" is, and why it's there. What does this mean? A search for "VBS Anchor" turns up nothing.
Here's what I have now, modified for my needs:

For i = 2 to MyTableCount
Range("X"&i).Select
ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor=Selection.Offset(0,1), Address=Range("X"&i).Value , TextToDisplay= Range("X"&i).Value
Next

Once again, it runs without error, but does not convert the links (and there's no debugger, so I can't step through it either)

PLEASE NOTE: Although VBA uses "Anchor:=", VBS seems to prefer "Anchor=", as the former gives me syntax errors.
I hope that's all that's going on, but maybe the assignment isn't working with just an "="?

Upvote 0
As I noted in my code comments, I need to paste the "Y" column back on itself, so I need to Paste Special. I've tried "xlPasteValues", and "XlPasteFormulas". Same result. What would you suggest?

Upvote 0
Anchor is the cell that contains the hyperlink. It's one of the Add method's arguments, just like Address and TextToDisplay. Does Selection contain a HYPERLINK formula? I'm not familiar with QlikView, sorry.

Upvote 0
I'm embarrassed to admit the solution was so simple...
XLSheet.Hyperlinks.Add XLSheet.Range("X"&i), XLSheet.Range("X"&i).Value

I was over-complicating everything, because I initially thought I had to keep the original column ("X"), and then when I found out I didn't, still focused on copying everything to "Y".

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denissimo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back