Rank a row, find column header WITH duplicate ranked values

mrpaw

Board Regular
HI all. I asked a similar question and was given an excellent reply that worked well except it doesn't work if there are duplicate values. If there are two duplicate values in a row the formula I'm using repeats the first column header for the second value. What I need is to find the second value and corresponding column header. I've been searching and it seems this is a recurring question with no clear resolution. Any ideas? Here is the formula I'm using, thank you Eric W, to find the ranked items and then the column header. =IFERROR(LARGE($B3:$O3,(COLUMNS($R3:R3)+1)/2),"") for the numeric values and the following array formula for the header lookup. {=IF(R3="","",IF(R3>0,INDEX($B$2:$O$2,SMALL(IF($B3:$O3=R3,COLUMN($B$3:$O$3)-COLUMN($B$3)+1),COUNTIF($P3:P3,R3)+1)),""))}

Should beRankColumn DetailRanked Value
Col D ("yellow")10Yellow.50
Col H ("green")11Yellow.50

<tbody>
</tbody>

The second .50 ranked value should show the column detail of GREEN for Col. H, not repeat Col. D.

See original question on this forum under:
[h=1]Rank a row, then put values and column header in a table[/h]

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
I'm confused by your question. The formula I provided handles duplicate values. If you look at the sample I posted in post 4 of the original thread, it shows duplicate values of 5 in R3 and T3, with different headings in Q3 and S3. The example you show in this thread doesn't show enough detail for me to see what you want. Try to post a more complete example.

Upvote 0
I'm confused by your question. The formula I provided handles duplicate values. If you look at the sample I posted in post 4 of the original thread, it shows duplicate values of 5 in R3 and T3, with different headings in Q3 and S3. The example you show in this thread doesn't show enough detail for me to see what you want. Try to post a more complete example.

I've retried the formula and now it's not working. The range is larger so I changed all the range references but still getting duplicate column values on the second instance (duplicate). I must be missing a step. Yes, I am entering the formula as an array.

First Value of 1.00 from BT:

{=IF(BT7="","",IF(BT7>0,INDEX(TOTAL_Name,SMALL(IF($B7:$BI7=BT7,COLUMN($B7:$BI7)-COLUMN($B7)+1),COUNTIF($BL7:$BL7,BT7)+1)),""))}

Where Total_Name is the column header range. The first value in BT should show the column header from Col S

Duplicate value 1.00 from BV:

{=IF(BV7="","",IF(BV7>0,INDEX(TOTAL_Name,SMALL(IF($B7:$BI7=BV7,COLUMN($B7:$BI7)-COLUMN($B7)+1),COUNTIF($BL7:$BL7,BV7)+1)),""))}

The duplicate value in BV should show the column header from Col W

Upvote 0
Found MY error. I needed to adjust to the last rank value cell to the left of the formula cell.

All is working now.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back