RANK Formula

JBWalker

Office Version
  1. 2010
  2. 2007
I have been successful utilising RANK formula to annote highest to lowest from a set field. Set field being numbers with no other influences.

example =RANK(A1,C1:C10)

However I now have need to modify data C1:C10, instead of having set numbers in these fields i now require each cell to be the result of an equation.

C1 = D1+E1
C2 = D2+E2
etc

Now that the information in C1:C10 is derived from other formulas my original =RANK formula doesn't work.

If this makes sense, does anybody have any suggestions?

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Can you share your values?

Should be working from what I understand. Though not sure why you'd compare A1 to values in C

Upvote 0
I have attached snap of the tab in which i am currently working. The aim of this tab is to gain a quick snapshot view (untilising =RANK) of student progress.
Total score is Practical -> Teamwork, the value of which has been transposed AJ column (which would usually be hidden)
Current situation dictates I need to seperate front runners Student 3 & 12 and I would utilise "Behaviour" to achieve this.

I could include "Behaviour" in the total score to solve my issue, but for other reasons this is not possible.
My solution was to input the following =sum(AJ4+J9) into cell AK4, continuing down to AK23 and then have cell M10 read =RANK(J10,AK4:AK23)
However when i do this I get #N/A (a value is not available to the formula or funtion)

I'm known for over complicating things, so i'm sure there is an easier way but I'm not sure what it is.

Appreciate any help or suggestions given

Attachments

• Excel spreadsheet snap.PNG
    Excel spreadsheet snap.PNG
    108 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0
Looks like your challenge is RANK only works if the value you are looking for exists in the cells you are looking at.

Struggling with a workaround without sorting the totals and behavior first, defeating the purpose.

Upvote 0
You could still include the behaviour.

Adding the behaviour to the score directly would affect the ranking as a whole. I understand from your explanation that this is undesirable.

Using student 1 as an example,what you could use as formula in AJ4 is this: =SUM(J4:J8)+(J9/1000)

Keep in mind though that when two students have the same total score AND the same behavioral score, then they would still be tied. You could modify the formula further still like below, which would add a alphabetical ranking on top of your “total score + behavior“ ranking: =SUM(J4:J8)+(J9/1000)+(ROW()/100000)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back