Rank Top 5 Customers in a list by the sum of revenue

loon027

I've gone through and done my legwork to try and find this online after trying many different methods that I know. This is the first one that I can't get an answer for by looking online. It seems easy enough to do. I'm trying to not use a pivot table and have a dashboard to rank the customers by revenue. I'd like to display top 5. Any help I appreciated. My example list is below:

Customer Revenue <----Header
A 2000
C 2200
A 8200
D 4000
C 500

etc.... for hundreds of rows

I'm looking to have an array formula that would dynamically sum the customers revenue by name. Example
Rank Customer Revenue
1st A 10200
2nd D 4000
3rd C 2700

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
The easy way will be to:
1) create list of unique customers (say in column M, starting M2) - either with built in tools - remove duplicates or advanced filter or formula (see for instance http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/439486-extracting-unique-values-list-using-formula.html)
2) in N2 formula (and copy down):
Code:
=SUMIF(A:A,M2,B:B)
3) in E2 formula (also copy down):
Code:
=LARGE($N$2:$N$10,ROW(A1))
4) in D2 (and down):
Code:
=INDEX($M$2:$M$10,MATCH(E2,$N$2:$N$10,0))

adjust last row ($10) in the formulas above to be greater than expected number of unique customers

The more advanced would be with packing it all into large array formula, but it would be probably not only more complicated, but also less effective and would slow down your spreadsheet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The easy way will be to:
1) create list of unique customers (say in column M, starting M2) - either with built in tools - remove duplicates or advanced filter or formula (see for instance http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/439486-extracting-unique-values-list-using-formula.html)
2) in N2 formula (and copy down):
Code:
=SUMIF(A:A,M2,B:B)
3) in E2 formula (also copy down):
Code:
=LARGE($N$2:$N$10,ROW(A1))
4) in D2 (and down):
Code:
=INDEX($M$2:$M$10,MATCH(E2,$N$2:$N$10,0))

adjust last row ($10) in the formulas above to be greater than expected number of unique customers

The more advanced would be with packing it all into large array formula, but it would be probably not only more complicated, but also less effective and would slow down your spreadsheet.

Thanks Kaper!
I was hoping to just have an array formula in only 5 cells on my summary tab vs having helper columns and lots more formulas. The main reason for that is I'm no going to be the one maintaining it so it needs to be self sufficient.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back