Ranking numbers - rank isn't working as i need due to decimal places, help please

marshen

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all.

Thanks for your help earlier on today.

Below is the link to a shot of my spreadsheet.

Cells K23 & K25 are given ranks 2 & 1 respectively. I know this is because the original number is an average way back in another spreadsheet. I want the rank to be judged on the 9.77 only and not 9.7754154254 or whatever it may be and therefore the value I want would be 1 for both K23 & K25, does anyone know how I would do this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvrc7658lez27ci/20160404_124154-1.jpg?dl=0

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Hello,

When you see 2 digit decimals in a cell it doesn't mean this value has really 2 decimals. If you want to get hard-rounding for values you could use in J column:

=ROUND(what;no_of_decimals)

Nard

Upvote 0
thanks but unfortunately it isn't working for me.

If you see this picture attached on the drop box link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yj8f4dr4rrvvmf8/20160404_133758-1.jpg?dl=0

I'm doing the round function and the information shown is correct but as the value, 9.77 is coming off a different page in the spreadsheet it's making a circular reference and the value is going to 0.00, it's so infuriating.

Thanks for your help

Upvote 0
it seems to work,
A3 is 3.14 and A4 is pi rounded to 2 decimals

Excel 2012
AB
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A4=ROUND(PI(),2)
B1=RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$6,1)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You cannot create a formula for a cell with a reference to this cell. That's why you get 0. :)
Do I get it right that the actual value in J23 comes from Totals!P5? Then your formula should look like this:

=Round(Total!P5;2)

Nard

Upvote 0
Fantastic that's worked, now just to crack the v look up feature to get this working in a league table format as such.
cheers

Upvote 0
Glad I could help. :)
To be honest I prefer index+match over vlookup. :)

Nard

Upvote 0
Now you're just confusing me. This possibly sounds like an easier way to sort everything? As you'll have seen iIve managed to get a rank for each of my drivers and it's just a case of getting them in order. Any assistance would be appreciated?

Thanks mark

Upvote 0
No, no. VLOOKUP and combo INDEX+MATCH give you the same result. It's just for me combo is easier (as I learned it before I cracked vlookup ;) ). Besides IMO combo gives you less risk of an error as in VLOOKUP you hard-code number of column while combo works directly on real column addresses which you usually click to get it into a formula. :)
If you are interested here you will find a nice blog about both: vlookup and combo. :)

As for sorting. If your drivers ranks change during a month and you want to keep a record of the current ranking than yes. You can use vlookup/combo. To be honest I didn't come up with anything better. Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

Nard

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back