DRSteele

Ranking with Tiebreakers

DRSteele

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
DRSteele submitted a new Excel article:

Ranking with Tiebreakers - Using a new statsitic, we can rank performance by using cascading tiebreakers

Using tiebreakers is frequently required in sports leagues and sales data to come up with winners and losers. We can use a clever trick to rank with tiebreakers, a process otherwise made difficult by the many conditions.

Here we have sales data for automobile salesmen, and we want to grant Christmas bonuses based on their performance. The first statistic we want to use to rank them is the Sales Level. If there is a tie in that statistic, we then want to rank the salesmen by the number of...

Read more about this Excel article...

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Hi Don

I have used similar concepts for ranking previously, including sometimes decimal digits, particularly for categories where a lower value actually ranks higher.

However, I think your article would be better if it included a caveat about the size or number of categories, as the following statement makes it sound like there is no limit.
Note that other data sets can have more or fewer tie-breaking categories, to be sure.

Your example results in a Grade figure with a maximum of 14 digits, conveniently just under the Excel limit for significant digits. If we take the quote above and add one more category with a magnitude of 3, then the Grade figure exceeds the significant digit limit and the ranking is no longer reliable. Another example, rather than introducing another category is to simply change Qay and Pat's Sales level to 81000 & suddenly their ranking is equal, even though they still differ in Rustproofing Contracts.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your comments. I actually have written about this before where I used the cascading categories as part of the decimal for Grade (meaning that I divided rather than multiplied the lesser categories). That too did mean a fourteen-digit precision limit. I will amend the article accordingly.

When I want a tiebreaker, I add a column numbered 1,2,3,4,5 down the page, and I add that number divided by a large number (eg 1000000) to the number (or text) I am ranking, and rank on the result. This always breaks ties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back