Re-naming a shape NOT using VBA ?

keldsor

Board Regular
When you add a shape to a sheet it's named automaticly - right ?

If you then SELECT the shape - the automatic given name is shown in a combobos in the upper left corner and you can select the text (the name) ... but how can you CHANGE the name ?

You CAN change the selected text (the name) and press ENTER - but it has NO EFFECT on the name of the shape !

How can I re-name a shape NOT using VBA ?

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
It can be done by selecting the shape, then changing the name in the 'Name Box' (that's the box above A1 that usually shows the address of the selected cell).

Edit:- reading your post again, it looks like the 'combobox' that you referred to in your post might actually be the 'Name Box' that I've suggested. Changing the name in there works for me, if it is not working for you then there is something amiss that may require further investigation. Could you be more specific as to the type of shape used as it may be specific to certain object types.
If the shape is something like a checkbox, are you using a form control or an activex control?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
?????
Read my posting - that's exacly what I try to do - but it doesn't work - yeah, I can change the text in that box, but it has NO EFFECT on the name of the shape !

Upvote 0
I just inserts a rectangle, selects it and try to change it's name ... but can't do it as described !

Upvote 0
That is exactly what I have done.

Insert > Shapes > choose and draw shape.
Click 'Name Box', change name, press Enter.

When I click away from the shape, then click back to it, the new name shows in the box. If I click away, then type the name into the box again the shape is selected.
shape capture.PNG

Upvote 0
That's exactly what I do too !

You HAVE to have the 'Select objects' checked first though ...

WHAT do I mis here ?

Upvote 0
I think I have it now !

The new name must NOT be something that can be interpreted as a cell - I just tried P1 , PP1 and it wont work but 'PersonID 1' works nicely !

THX !

Upvote 0
Solution
The new name must NOT be something that can be interpreted as a cell
Yeah, the identity must be unique, you wouldn't be able to use a cell reference or a name that is used for a named range.

There may also be some special characters that are not valid, but the common ones which are not permitted in named ranges are allowed for shapes.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back