Re: Prevent or disable workbook close(X) button, and closed by a command button.

Atiqul Haque

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Dear All Good Evening,

With the following codes to disable workbooks close(X) button, first time it works but when i click it again the workbook get closed.

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
Cancel = True
End Sub

I need the following:
#1. Disable or prevent to close entire workbook by normal excel close(X) button. &
#2. Workbook should closed by a vba command button.

Best Rgds,

Attachments

• Excel (X) Button.JPG
    Excel (X) Button.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 23

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Dear All Good Evening,

With the following codes to disable workbooks close(X) button, first time it works but when i click it again the workbook get closed.

Cancel = True
End Sub

I need the following:
#1. Disable or prevent to close entire workbook by normal excel close(X) button. &
#2. Workbook should closed by a vba command button.

Best Rgds,
#3 Also i want to close the workbook by logout button.

Upvote 0
Pushing this thread as I am experiencing this exact same weird problem!!!

To my understanding, the simple code

VBA Code:
Cancel = True
End Sub

should prevent a closing of the "file" (deliberately using this not very precise term here).

I see it all works fine with the workbook itself. When I use File->Close, for example, or the close(X) button in the Windows task bar when multiple Workbooks are opened, the behaviour is as expected.... I can click as many times as I want and the workbook simply stays opened.
But using the Application Close(X) Button in the top right corner, stopping/cancelling the closing is working only once. Clicking a second time still closes the whole Excel application.

I'm aware of differences between the running Excel Application/Instance and the open workbook, and that the BeforeClose() is only a sub of the workbook but not the app.
And I also found some vague statements in other forums that this event might not always be fired.

Nevertheless... how do I prevent the open Excel file from being closed whatsoever, regardless if the User Action is File->Close, workbook close, or clicking on the App's top right corner X button???????

Otherwise I really have a problem because the user can simply "override" my custom Saving routine which is checking for some specific cell contents. Second click on the X just opens the Save dialog and and regardless if "Save" or "Don't Save" was clicked (it does not save changes in both cases) the workbook plus the app are closed.

I'm wondering if this is a very specific problem (maybe even some kind of "bug") since there is close to zero information about this behaviour on the web.... So any help is appreciated!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back