Reaching Excel's Limits

ExcelAtEverything

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello friends,

I am working on an Excel doc in a book with more data than I've ever worked with before. I have sheets in this WB that by year's end will be clipping near the 1,048,576 max for a worksheet. I also have other sheets in the same WB which will all be doing the same. The reason is that this Excel doc that I am working on will be pulling in new data each day to be analyzed, and it's a lot of data. My sheet is already starting to hang and "think" often when I hit the enter key.

My question is... what will happen once it reaches the limit? Also, any expert advice to try to alleviate the potential issue?

Thanks!

Ok, so I have been up all night learning about Pivot Tables and also redoing all of my connections. I went the route RoryA mentioned, where I'm using a data model connection to access my data, which is stored in folders. I reworked a lot of things in my sheet, and built up a couple of quick Pivot Tables to get myself accustomed to building them. I have to say that this is pretty amazing. The sheet is SUPER-fast now, and the file size is considerably smaller. I just need to keep learning more about Pivot Tables. I'm still not quite making the connection (no pun intended) of how to use the Pivot Table to grab the numbers I need. Like when I have an expandable PT that shows sales by date. I guess in order to access the sales totals for the month of May (for instance), I'll need to keep the PT in a fully expanded state, because otherwise the data is collapsed and has no cell address for me to reference? So I'm thinking that I'll just have several fully expanded Pivot Tables located on hidden tabs so that I can grab the data? I'll start another thread when I run into issues that I need help with.

Thanks so much to RoraA, Tupe77, Michael M, OffTheLip, and Diddi (great advice on this topic elsewhere). You people are so awesome. What a wealth of knowledge. I also apologize for the times when I let my frustrations get the best of me. I'm in an incredibly stressful life situation right now, and you all have helped me more than you can ever imagine. ?????

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back