"Read me" or some other attached information file

Smithgall

Board Regular
i have a rather robust spreadsheet that contains many different fields with formulas and vba coding. What i would like to do is create a "read me" style text that allows a user to read the various definitions for these fields, instructions on how to use the whole app and also some warnings. This app may get distributed to several offices around the country and then those offices will likely have turn over so sending a seperate txt file along with it wont work asi t will eventually get lost. It has to be something that i know will always be available. What is the best solution?

i dont know if this can be done but ideally i would like to have a "help" button that when clicked opens a .txt file that can be printed. The problem is that unless a .txt file can somehow be embedded it has to be created at the time and i dont know how to pull that off. can anyone point me in the right direction on the best way to solve this problem?

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
The recent versions of Excel allow you to embed a file. Just go to Insert: Object and use the "Create from File" tab.

Other options:

-Create a userform with a textbox that contains all of the information you want to display

-Create a worksheet with a textbox that contains all the info

Upvote 0
solved -

thanks for both of your comments. I ended up using smitty help file that works perfectly and looks very polished.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back