Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello we have Microsoft Excel 2016.

I have a user that asked me if there was a way to have staff:
  1. Open an Excel file, be prompted to Read Only
  2. But if staff wants to edit the Excel file, they would need to use a Password to make those changes
I'm familiar with making an Excel file a Read Only file and I've created Passwords, but I wasn't sure how to have the file be a Read Only first, then enter a Password second (if edits are necessary)
Is there a way to do this?

Manny74

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
If you to protect the whole thing, so that no ranges are editable without first unprotecting it via a password, wouldn't that accomplish the same thing?
I see no benefit to trying to incorporate the "Read Only" piece. By protecting the whole thing, you are, in essence, making it read-only.

Upvote 0
If you to protect the whole thing, so that no ranges are editable without first unprotecting it via a password, wouldn't that accomplish the same thing?
I see no benefit to trying to incorporate the "Read Only" piece. By protecting the whole thing, you are, in essence, making it read-only.
Hi Joe4, I'm not sure if I understand???

Upvote 0
It seems to me that your "end goal" is that do not want the user to be able edit anything unless they enter a password.
Is that correct (because that is what it sounds like).
If that is the case, then protect your entire sheets with a password, so they will be unable to edit them without entering a password.

Upvote 0
It seems to me that your "end goal" is that do not want the user to be able edit anything unless they enter a password.
Is that correct (because that is what it sounds like).
If that is the case, then protect your entire sheets with a password, so they will be unable to edit them without entering a password.
Hi Joe4, yes, the user doesnt want anyone to make edits, unless they enter a password.
So you are saying from Review, click on Protect Sheet and enter a Password to protect the sheet?
So what does this look like for the user?
The user opens the Excel file, tries to edit, and gets the message "The Cell or chart you're trying to change is on a protected sheet. To make a change, unprotect the sheet. You might be requested to enter a password."
So they have to click on Unprotect the Sheet, type in Password?
But then leaves the worksheet unprotected?

Upvote 0
Hi Joe4, yes, the user doesnt want anyone to make edits, unless they enter a password.
So you are saying from Review, click on Protect Sheet and enter a Password to protect the sheet?
So what does this look like for the user?
The user opens the Excel file, tries to edit, and gets the message "The Cell or chart you're trying to change is on a protected sheet. To make a change, unprotect the sheet. You might be requested to enter a password."
So they have to click on Unprotect the Sheet, type in Password?
But then leaves the worksheet unprotected?
They would need to reprotect it with the password after they make their edits.

If you want any of those things to happen automatically, you would need to incorporate VBA.
For example, there is a BeforeSave event in VBA that you could use to automatically reprotect the sheet with the password. You would just need to make sure that VBA is enabled, or else it wouldn't run.

If I may ask, what is the purpose of having it locked if they can just unlock it with the password?
Is the thinking that only some users would have the password and can edit it, and others cannot?
If we have a clearer vision of what it is that is ultimately trying to be accomplished, we may be able to formulate the best approach.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back