Reading worksheet path/name from a cell and using it as lookup_array in a X/VLOOKUP function

RatzaTM

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello folks,
So I've been bugging over this for a week or so and can't seem to figure it out, I'm hoping someone can shed some light.
There's an Excel_1 I've made which reads information from Excel_2,3,4,etc. The formula looks like this:

XLOOKUP(C5, 'C:\March\[01.03.2023 name_of_file.XLSX]Current'!D:D, 'C:\March\[01.03.2023 name_of_file.XLSX]Current'!C:C)

The problem that I have is the source XLSX changes name each week or month and I have to manually adjust each formula to take into account the new filename. I was thinking of having either a specific cell or a named range or a variable of some sort in Excel_1, that I could update and all the formulas would use it as the new filename, say C:\April\[01.04.2023 name_of_file.XLSX]Current', without having to manually replace the text with the new path each time for every formula.

I tried named ranges, tried INDIRECT with the 2 books open, there's always something preventing the lookup from reading the target worksheet. Does anyone have a better idea on how this can be achieved? I want the formulas to be a static reference to something that I can change anytime I want, in a single location.

Thanks a bunch, in advance

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back