Recognising nouns verbs etc

rline101

Board Regular
Is Excel able to recognise what type of word a word is? so i type "cat" in a cell and have some function which returns "noun"? If there's nothing specific, could something be made or imagined for this?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
I'm pretty sure this is possible.:)

But how do you recognise a "noun" or "verb"?

Why is "cat" a "noun" and not a "verb"?

I've studied this at university and it invlolves setting up various rules etc.

In fact it's called AI.

Upvote 0
on a word by word basis, I guess you could do something like:

1) identify your preferred on-line dictionary
2) write a procedure that will automate the lookup for a single word in, eg, a1 & return some subset of the results to , eg, b1

...but more than that you'll need to give us a lot more info on the task - it would take a fair amount of effort to shoe-horn excel into a text parsing machine, as Norie indicated.

Upvote 0
Oh OK. Well I guess the ultimate task is to create a set of randomly generated sentences from predefined words. So I have some list of words from somewhere (perhaps Word can help here?) and in a corresponding list, whether they are nouns, verbs, whatever. Then I have some formula like ="The "&randomnoun&randomverb&"the "&randomnoun. So a finished result might be "The cat eats the hat" or "The milk runs the table". At this stage, whether the sentence makes sense is irrelevant to me. (It might be later) Anyway, the random part I'm fine with, but I need the list of words and their type in order to do it. Does this help? I'm aware that excel treats values as values and not as actual words, so if i type sdfhhg into a cell, it doesn't complain. Perhaps this is one of the issues...

Thanks

Upvote 0
1) go on line and find some word lists. a quick google took me here, for example:

http://esl.about.com/library/vocabulary/bl850_nouns1.htm

2) set up a worksheet for each part of speach - e.g. a "nouN' worksheet with nouns listed in col A; a "Verb' sheet, with verbs in col a etc

3) generate the random sentences with a formula of the forM

="The "&INDEX(noun!A:A,RANDBETWEEN(1,10000))&" "&INDEX(verb!A:A,RANDBETWEEN(1,10000))&" "&INDEX(preposition!A:A,RANDBETWEEN(1,10000))&" "&INDEX(noun!A:A,RANDBETWEEN(1,10000))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webster33

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back