Recommendations!?

tnapele

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello!
I'm a new intern that was assigned to create a program in VBA (basically recreating an older report but modifying it to better fit our needs). The only problem is my experience with coding is little to none. So what I'm looking for is some recommendations for places to learn more about VBA/Coding. Any really good youtube videos? Online programs that taught you a lot? Online databases that can answer simple questions? Is there any sort of library where I can look up expressions or other controls to see how to use them?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Online databases that can answer simple questions?
That is kind of what we do here! ;)
Feel free to post your questions.

As for learning materials, the MrExcel store has some good books (The MrExcel Store - Welcome to The MrExcel Store). There are a lot of great YouTube tutorials, but most of the ones I have come across are topic-specific (i.e. show you how to use a certain function, or complete a specific task), and not so much part of an overall introduction to VBA course. That doesn't mean that those are out there, its just I am never looking for those sort of things specifically. But you may want to try some Google searches and see what you can find.

Also, a great way to learn is by using the Macro Recorder. If you turn on the Macro Recorder, and record yourself performing some tasks in Excel, then stop the Recorder, you can view the VBA code it generated. You can use this to help automate many tasks, or just get snippets of code to insert into your bigger code. Even us "experts" use it on occasion (its not like we memorize the structure of all functions and commands!).

Welcome to the world of VBA! It can be a lot of fun, if you really get into it.
You might even stick around here for a year or 18! ;)

Upvote 0
If you are starting from scratch and you do want to look at YouTube video's I would probably have a look at WiseOwl..

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back