record level locking in excel spreadsheets using macros??

ajas

Can a spreadsheet be designed, possibly with macros, that “senses” the IDSID of the user (mine would be “ajas). A user could modify or delete ONLY those lines of the spreadsheet he/she created. And anyone can create new lines. New lines are always tagged with the IDSID of the creator (not an option, not an editable field). Any one can view everyone else’s stuff, but only edit their own. Maybe “gray out” everyone else’s data to make the distinction visible.

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
I imagine it could be done. However, XL is not designed for such work. Consequently, the amount of programming needed to build a foolproof system would be horrendous. You will be better off exploring real databases such as MS Access or its various competitors.

Upvote 0
Wouldn't the whole file get locked?

Thanks for your reply Tushar!
However,Its my understanding, and I might be wrong since I have no experience with Excel programming, that whenever one person has opened an excel file, sombody else cannot open it and edit it after him because the OS locks the file for editing. It then is displayed as a Read-Only file as long as the first person is working on it. So, if I have people doing stuff simultaneously, record-level locking is out of the question. Even before it goes to that stage , working according to macros, the OS would lock the file for editing. Am I right?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back