Recorded Macro but isn't working properly?

YIDA

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello Excel Pros,

I am working in Production and everyday I will received a Work In Progress excel sheet
Everyday I had to go over the same action just to show me the relevant data I needed
Until recently I found out about recording Macro and decided to try it
I started recording, click stop recording, tried to run it. But everything went wrong.
How can I fix this?
The purpose of my recording is to
1. Hide a few cells that are not relevant to me
2. Sort date oldest to newest
3. Filter out WIP for shift A (there are 2 shifts)
4. Sum up 2 rows and filter out the numbers (less than or equal to) 50
I tried to find the problem of where went wrong by breaking down into 4 recordings, and I found out that the Step 1: the hide macros are already messed up.
Below is the code.
' wip Macro
'
'
Range("K1247").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "a"
Columns("A:C").Select
Selection.EntireColumn.Hidden = True
Rows("7:7").Select
Selection.UnMerge
ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("07-03").AutoFilter.Sort.SortFields.Clear
ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("07-03").AutoFilter.Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=Range( _
"D7:D1248"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:= _
xlSortNormal
With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("07-03").AutoFilter.Sort
.Header = xlYes
.MatchCase = False
.Orientation = xlTopToBottom
.SortMethod = xlPinYin
.Apply
End With
ActiveSheet.Range("$A$7:$CV$1248").AutoFilter Field:=11, Criteria1:="A"
Columns("AC:AU").Select
Columns("AZ:BK").Select
Columns("BP:CE").Select
Range("CU10").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-33]+RC[-49]"
Range("CU10").Select
Selection.FillDown
ActiveSheet.Range("$A$7:$CV$1248").AutoFilter Field:=99, Criteria1:="<=-50" _
, Operator:=xlAnd
ActiveWindow.ScrollColumn = 28
ActiveWindow.ScrollColumn = 24
ActiveWindow.ScrollColumn = 13
ActiveWindow.ScrollColumn = 12
ActiveWindow.ScrollColumn = 10
ActiveWindow.SmallScroll Down:=51
End Sub

Please help!
Many thanks!

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Can you give us more detail than " the hide macros are already messed up."
Is there an error message ?
If not, what is happening ?

Upvote 0
It would be helpful if you can explain how it's not working - because we can't see what's happening, we need to try and recreate the problem on our end. And because we don't have your data, that's a bit tricky.

There is a lot of code in there that you don't need (like when you press down on the scroll bar, for example), but that's pretty standard when it comes to recording macros. The superfluous code can sometimes cause problems, but not always - without further information about what's going wrong, it's hard to say. A few things jump out at me: (1) It seems that you're using relative referencing (I think) - which is where it will make changes to cells relative to whichever cell is the 'active' one. This means that in order to perfectly reproduce the intended effect, you need to have 'started' having selected the cell that was active when you recorded it; (2) the sort order is based on PinYin - is that intended?

But other than that it should, at a minimum, hide certain cells. In the code, it has:

VBA Code:

which, although slightly verbose, will do exactly what it says on the tin.

Sometimes it helps to 'step through' the code. This means that you make VBA run the code on a line by line basis each time you press a button (F8). If you go through it that way, you might be able to get a clearer understanding of where things go wrong.

Upvote 0
Can you give us more detail than " the hide macros are already messed up."
Is there an error message ?
If not, what is happening ?

I tried to hide these cells, and I double checked the code it's correct.

Columns("AC:AU").Select
Columns("AZ:BK").Select
Columns("BP:CE").Select

But when I tried to run it only column AA:AB are shown, the rest are all hidden.
Like this:
1625615292888.png

So far I have only been able to identified the first part of the issue, the rest of the codes I'll need to go through it again once I get this fixed.

It would be helpful if you can explain how it's not working - because we can't see what's happening, we need to try and recreate the problem on our end. And because we don't have your data, that's a bit tricky.

There is a lot of code in there that you don't need (like when you press down on the scroll bar, for example), but that's pretty standard when it comes to recording macros. The superfluous code can sometimes cause problems, but not always - without further information about what's going wrong, it's hard to say. A few things jump out at me: (1) It seems that you're using relative referencing (I think) - which is where it will make changes to cells relative to whichever cell is the 'active' one. This means that in order to perfectly reproduce the intended effect, you need to have 'started' having selected the cell that was active when you recorded it; (2) the sort order is based on PinYin - is that intended?

But other than that it should, at a minimum, hide certain cells. In the code, it has:

VBA Code:

which, although slightly verbose, will do exactly what it says on the tin.

Sometimes it helps to 'step through' the code. This means that you make VBA run the code on a line by line basis each time you press a button (F8). If you go through it that way, you might be able to get a clearer understanding of where things go wrong.
(1) Yes, I agree with you I am using relative referencing, I tried recording and run again but the same issue pops up.
(2) No, it isn't. The dates are sort based on Oldest to Newest.

Upvote 0
Works for me.....
VBA Code:
Sub PreviousMonth()
Columns("AC:AU").Hidden = True
Columns("AZ:BK").Hidden = True
Columns("BP:CE").Hidden = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
But when I tried to run it only column AA:AB are shown, the rest are all hidden.
Like @Michael M, that works for me too. When you say the other columns are all hidden, do you meant the columns AV to AY and BM to BO? If so, are the other columns visible before you run the code? Because this code won't make hidden columns visible. To do that, the following code will make all columns on the sheet visible. You just need to put it at the start of corrected code you just posted above:

VBA Code:
Cells.Columns.Hidden = False

Remember when running VBA code, you won't be able to undo it, so it's best to practice on sample data/workbooks.

Upvote 0
Sorry Yida but I have to ask, what happens when you click on the 3 in the top left hand corner ?

The code shown above does not show any statements containing ".Columns.Group"

1625622518285.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back