Records being overwritten in Access Table - HELP Required

manicmighty

I have an access database with a main table and the database is used by Multiple Users who write records to the main table at the same time.

The problem I am encountering is that when one of the users adds records these are then overwritten by the other user if they are adding records at the same time.

Is there a setting that needs to be setup so multiple users can write to the table at the same time as when I have looked at the 'Advanced Options' the database is set to Default open mode as 'shared'.

I have a UniqueRecordID field set as Auto Number; should this be set as a primary key to stop this happening?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Have you split your database, so that each user is using a separate copy of the front-end, and all front-ends are linked to the same back-end?
If not, see: https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...database-3015ad18-a3a1-4e9c-a7f3-51b1d73498cc

Also, make sure that all users are entering the data through forms. Users should NOT be accessing the data tables directly.
Second, yes, you should use an Autonumber field. Then when each user goes to add a new record, they are first assigned a unique autonumber field, so they won't overwrite someone else entering something at the same time. You need to make sure that your table has a primary key field.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this.

I've never encountered this problem before with an Access database; is there a reason why someone using the database at the same time as someone else would over write the record of the other user?

Upvote 0
Really this should not be possible with insertion of new records (the autonumber primary key makes it literally impossible for two users to add records with the same primary key).

Edit: Oops, I thought this was your primary key:
I have a UniqueRecordID field set as Auto Number

It should be either a primary key or have a unique index. Otherwise, it's really not guaranteed to be unique I guess.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back