Recordset/Insert Into SQL

Jameo

Hi all,

I am having a slight issue. I am trying to create an Insert Into SQL statement, and keep getting errors. I have managed to insert into my table using a recordset, but ideally would like to use an SQL statement. My working recordset statement is as follows:

Code:
Private Sub cmd_AddDF_Click()
  Dim MyDB As DAO.Database, MyRS As DAO.Recordset
  Set MyDB = CurrentDb()
  Set MyRS = MyDB.OpenRecordset("tblDemandForcast", dbOpenDynaset)

On Error GoTo Err_cmd_AddDF_Click
If Not IsNull(DLookup("[GasDay]", _
                  "[tblDemandForcast]", _
                  "[GasDay]=#" & Me!txtRepDate & "#")) Then

MsgBox("Record already Exists.")

exit sub

else

With MyRS
      .AddNew
           ![Gasday] = Me![txtRepDate]
           ![D] = Me![txtD0]
           ![D1] = Me![txtD1]
           ![D2] = Me![txtD2]
           ![D3] = Me![txtD3]
           ![D4] = Me![txtD4]
           ![D5] = Me![txtD5]
           ![D6] = Me![txtD6]
      .Update
    End With
  MyRS.Close
End If

Exit_cmd_AddDF_Click:
    Exit Sub
Err_cmd_AddDF_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_cmd_AddDF_Click

End Sub

The SQL statement I have been trying to use is as follows:

Code:
DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO [tblDemandForcast] " & _
                 "([GasDay] & ", " & [D] & ", " & [D1] & ", " & [D2] & ", " & [D3] & ", " & [D4] & ", " & [D5] & ", " & [D6]) " & _
                 "VALUES ('" & Me.txtRepDate & "','" & Me.txtD0 & "'," & Me.txtD1 & ", '" & Me.txtD2 & "','" & Me.txtD3 & "','" & Me.txtD4 & "','" & Me.txtD5 & "','" & Me.txtD6 & "')"

I must have the syntax wrong in the above statement, but after many hours and iterations I am no closer to having it working. I have tried with and without ## around the date txt box, and have tried using format() but to no avail. It would be great if someone could point me in the direction of my errors.

Many thanks

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Try creating the SQL string first, then you can Debug.Print before trying to run it.
Something like:
Code:
Dim sSQL As String

sSQL="Build the SQL statement here"
Debug.Print sSQL
DoCmd.RunSQL sSQL

Then you can check the syntax in the Immediate window
Denis

Upvote 0
Did you try any of the suggestions I posted in the other thread?

You shouldn't have single apostrophes around the date.

Another thing I just noticed - you seem to be using [D], [D1]... as the names of the fields in the first part of the SQL.

I'm not sure how those will be interpreted by Access/VBA, but it's not going to be D, D1, D2...

If the field names are D, D1, D2 etc try this.
Code:
Dim strSQL As String

strSQL = "INSERT INTO [tblDemandForcast] ([GasDay],[D], [D1] , [D2] , [D3], [D4] , [D5] , [D6]) "
strSQL = strSQL & "VALUES (" & DateValue(Me.txtRepDate) & "," & _
                                    "'" & Me.txtD0 & "' ,'" & Me.txtD1 & "', '" & Me.txtD2 & "','" & Me.txtD3 & "','" & Me.txtD4 & "','" & Me.txtD5 & "','" & Me.txtD6 & "')"

Upvote 0
Hi Norrie,

Thanks, I did try your advice, but I couldn't get it working. I decided to post a new thread as I had got it working by using the recordset technique. I thought this would provide a good comparison between the two sets of code. As you will have noticed, I also changed all of the field headings to avoid any of the possible pitfalls you mentioned.

I have managed to get it working now though. My issue was that I didn't understand all the syntax involved in building up the string, and even though I tried to put the commas in speach marks, I think I was doing it incorrectly.

After much effort, pain and misery I finally found out the correct methodolgy, (thanks Sydney for suggesting the debug.print technique - really helped)

My SQL statement is now as follows:

Code:
Private Sub cmd_AddDF_Click()
    Dim SQLs As String, SQLss As String
    Dim MSG1 As Integer

DoCmd.SetWarnings False

SQLs = "INSERT INTO tblDemandForcast([GasDay],[D],[D1],[D2],[D3],[D4],[D5],[D6])" _
            & "VALUES (# " & Me.txtRepDate & " #, " & Me.txtD0 & ", " & Me.txtD1 & ", " _
            & Me.txtD2 & ", " & Me.txtD3 & "," & Me.txtD4 & "," & Me.txtD5 & "," & Me.txtD6 & ")"
    SQLss = "UPDATE tblDemandForcast SET [GasDay] = #" & Me.txtRepDate & "#, [D] = " _
            & Me.txtD0 & ", [D1] = " & Me.txtD1 & ", [D2] = " & Me.txtD2 & ", [D3]" _
            & "= " & Me.txtD3 & ", [D4] = " & Me.txtD4 & ", [D5] = " & Me.txtD5 & ", [D6] = " _
            & Me.txtD6 & " WHERE [GasDay]= #" & Me.txtRepDate & "#"

If IsNull(DLookup("[GasDay]", _
                      "[tblDemandForcast]", _
                      "[GasDay]=#" & Me!txtRepDate & "#")) Then

DoCmd.RunSQL SQLs

Else

MSG1 = MsgBox("Record already exists! Do you wish to update with new values?", vbYesNo)

If MSG1 = vbYes Then

DoCmd.RunSQL SQLss

Else

Exit Sub
        End If

End If
   DoCmd.SetWarnings True
End Sub
Sub test()
Dim SQLs As String

Debug.Print SQLs

End Sub

Basically, I was offered the correct advice, but didn't have the intelligance to correctly interpret it ;)

Thanks to the both of your for your patience.

For those in the future reading this and suffering the same problems, if you dont put put " & around a variable VBA does not interpret is a variable, but as a string! " & MyVariable & " is the way to go!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Da9l87

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back