Recoverin Cell Comments from Corrupt File

Gives

Board Regular
I need help recovering the cell comments from a corrupt excel file. I was able to transfer the cell contents from the corrupt file without opening it using an ADODB Connection but I can't figure out how to get the cell comments. Any suggestions appreciated.

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Hi Gives,

Have you tried Excel's built-in Open and Repair tool? This built-in can recover corrupt excel files. to use the tool:

1. Open New Excel worksheet
2. Click File|Open.
3. In the 'Open' dialogue box, select the file you want to recover.
4. With the 'Open' button activated, click the arrow and select the 'Open and Repair' option
5.Click the 'Repair' button to start the recovery, or the 'Extract Data' button to extract data if excel was previously unable to repair the workbook (this latter bit won't get the comments, though).

Cheers

Upvote 0
Excel Open & Repair

I am running Excel 2000 and don't appear to have an "Open & Repair" option. My options are Open, Open Read-Only, Open as Copy, Open in Browser (the in Browser option is greyed out). Am I looking in the wrong place or was the Repair option added in a later version?

Upvote 0
Hi Gives,

Yes, this was introduced later. Since you're running Excel 2000, see if you can find someone with Excel XP or 2007 to try to open the file for you - that'll improve your chances of a full recovery.

Cheers

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back