Redirecting input to a specified cell: Primary school incentive program

ANewDayDawns

Hi,
I'm trying to reinvigorate my classroom incentive system. I've created a few versions but I'd really like it more streamlined but my Excel knowledge is limited. Basically, the students earn money for tasks and good behaviour, which they use to purchase rewards (sit in teacher's chair for the day, computer time, stationery, etc.) or can be fined (late homework, calling out, etc.). The current system works fine (displayed on interactive whiteboard) but I'd like to see if I could expand on it.

Old System
Currently, students click an active cell (image of their name over cell, so the active cell is selectable below) and press the associated denomination (they press the $5 AUD bank note to add $5 to their tally, etc.). I assigned macros to those images that simply add "x" to the active cell (ActiveCell.Value = ActiveCell.Value + 5). If they are fined, the press a macro which deducts "y" from the active cell (specified).

Another version used spinner buttons, which was next to their active cell and groups just added/deducted, in increments of $1, to their group's total.

New System
I purchased a simple barcode scanner because I thought I'd somehow be able to work out a method to make it easier.My idea was for the students to scan a barcode on their individual "debit cards", which would link to their own cell. They would then scan the money barcodes which would add/deduct the specified denomination.

Example:
  • Tom is being rewarded for good behaviour. He earns $1 to his account.
  • Tom scans his "debit card" to access his account (individual sheet or column?)
  • Tom then scans the $1 barcode, which adds $1 to the active cell.
  • All transactions affect that cell.
I've ran into a roadblock trying to work out how I could use formulas or macros to achieve this. I feel if there was a way to "anchor" an input to a specific cell, I may be able to progress some more (unless there's a more streamlined way someone can think of).
  • Tom scans his debit card
  • Excel reads "Tom" and directs to his cell (eg. D7)
  • Tom scans the reward barcode, which adds/subtracts to the active cell
  • OR I could just use my previous system and assign a macro to an image (ActiveCell.Value + 1) instead, after he scans his debit card

Any help would be appreciated as, right now, I feel like I'm overreaching and it's not possible, with my extent of knowledge with Excel.

Thanks for your time!

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fenes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back