Reducing a file size

myroz

Excel 2007<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
This is probably really simple. i have a large file and its performance is being compromised by its size, would it help if i reduced / removed the empty rows and columns.<o:p></o:p>

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
How big is it ?
If it has lots of Pivot tables, Graphs, Images, etc...there's not a lot you can really do.

Reducing / removing rows and columns will do nothing, if those rows and columns are genuinely empty.

Upvote 0
its 70 MB, a colleague claims that i can reduce it by 30 MBs by ...

"...
Just been playing around with the speadsheet. If you delete all the unused rows in the four tabs (from about row 5900 onwards), you'll be able to shave off about 40mb from the file size (mine went from 71mb to 32mb)). Might make life a bit easier!..."

Im loathed to ask him......

Upvote 0
Have you tried pressing CTRL + End and see where the cursor finishes ?
Do the same with CTRL + Right Arrow
If these cell locations are a long way past the end of your actual data then delete the rows and columns to those points.
Save the worksheet and reopen it, the CTRL + End should now be at the last point in your data.
This may save a lot of file size !!

Upvote 0
a lot of things can increase the file size.
what file format is it? (xls or XLSX/XLSM - meaning not the version of Excel you use but the file type itself)
is it full of graphs, images, buttons and code, digital signatures, formulas ...
if you provide a link to the file it will probably be easier.
on what machine do you use this "monster"? :)

Upvote 0
its and xlsx but it only contains figures and formulas with a few lookups. but it covers masses of individual data which is important to view input and output.

Upvote 0
well i think it will be best to share the file for checking (if it isn't confidential or too secret).
try to check Michael M 's suggestion(post #4), try also if there are some hidden sheets or anything like this, digital signatures or passwords, etc.
how many sheets & what is the average amount of cells filled per sheet?

Upvote 0
unfotunately its my (well the one i work for) companies 5 year forecasting model. i have some ideas on how to speed it up on the whold by modulerising it. did i just make that word up. thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back