#REF error in INDEX inside an INDIRECT function

tburn

Hi all,
I have the following function that multiplies the value in $F$5 with the value of a formula written in plain text on sheet 2 that is accessed via an index. It needs to be like this, because there needs to be a specific formula for each cell. and this formula needs go be multiplied with the value in $F$5.

The function is:

Code:
=INDIRECT($F$5&"*"&(INDEX(Sheet2!I$3:Sheet2!I$28,$D5)))

I believe my problem may be that I need to use an array formula, as the index may not work within the indirect, but i dont really know how to do that and was wondering if you guys can help me out?

Thanks loads,
Tommy

Thanks,
Though, How do I add a normal module?
Also, the code I put at the top is the true part of an if statement. Will it still work if I include it in the statement?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Yes it will.

To insert a module, press Alt+f11 to open the VB Editor. Then right click the workbook in the Project Explorer window (top left of the VB Editor) and choose Insert - Module. Then paste that code into the main blank window.

Upvote 0
Glad to help. Welcome to the forum, by the way! :)

Upvote 0
Ive just found an error with the above suggested code. If the EvaluateIt code is on the same sheet s the evaluated code, it works fine. Whene it's on a diffferent sheet, however, It's just returning a value of 1.
Is there any particular reason for this?

Upvote 0
The function evaluates the formula in the context of whatever sheet you have entered the function on. So if the formula should refer to a different sheet, it needs to specify that in the formula string. Does that explain what you are seeing? (BTW, like INDIRECT, it won't work with a closed workbook, if you are referring to other workbooks in the formulas)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back